Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Removing seats,.. use as cargo van?

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2016, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing seats,.. use as cargo van?

Hey guys, first post here... wanting to buy Exress 1500 AWD (somewhere btwn '08-'14) but wanting this as a work van. I don't want cargo van but want to use this as my cargo van..any issues with just removing seats so I've got the
open cargo area open cargo area
? I know floor clips may be in way, but what about seat belts??

Also, any big noticeable difference between 4 speed & 6 speed Express??

Btw, in case ur asking, I want the passenger van in case I want to throw seats in & take nieces/nephews skiing in the mountains, that's why AWD is a must for me in CO.

Anyone doing the same thing, any foreseeable issues before I pull the plug? Thanks in advance!
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 6 speed is widely regarded as a better trans than the 4 spd. However with AWD you are stuck with the 4 spd. Being a half ton van, you should watch the cargo weight you haul, and don't overload it.

As for the seats.....they are rails that bolt on to of the floor. Removing them is a pain, as it required to drill out rivets and move splash shield around to get to the 12 bolts per rail.....Also if you take the rails out there is no way to put seats in for the weekend...etc.
The seat belts are part of the bench seats, and the belt that comes from the side walls can be clipped to the side.

To carry loads, and still keep the seats as an option...I would remove the carpet, or the vinyl floor, and get down to bare metal. Then make some kind of plywood floor system that can be removed in sections that cover the seat rails, and give you a useable floor when you in cargo mode.....
Old October 1st, 2016, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great info, thanks canucklehead! Good to know about those rails...I asked the salesman once you take seats out the floor is flat, nothing in the way? and he said yes flat!
So... great idea for floor if needed, sounds like that's the best option...oooh that may be a great way to store some longer items, 1x's, 2x's, 4' level etc..

Anyone have pics of some easy custom storage solutions they've done? I'm going to have to figure some kind rack system since I don't have direct access to the metal walls, maybe some kind of tension bar system?
Old October 1st, 2016, 3:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made a rack from plywood, and just have it sitting on the floor with a couple l brackets screwed into the plastic trim up top.....the screws work their way out over time so you have to babysit them.....otherwise you could pull off some trim and run a pc of flat metal like a deck bracket strap from the metal outwards......I chose the easy route.....lol.

My old metal racks were bolted tot he floor, but the constant swaying back and forth broke off the bottom part.....metal fatigue.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I started out as an electrician apprentice, the guy I worked for always purchased Chevy passenger vans. We would remove the seats, wrap them in plastic and store them. He had a plywood interior we would slid in to the back of the van. It had two drawers in the rear and one on the side accessible from the side doors. It worked pretty good. We had a way to slide a couple of ladders etc. When he traded up, we removed the stuff, drawers, etc. Then the plywood base. Vacuum. Clean the windows and replace the seats. Churches and large families would always jump at the chance to purchase it because it was in top shape. He liked the passenger vans because of the interior made them warmer and much quieter than cargos.

isaac