Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

replacement tranny

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2016, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement tranny

Greetings all!

I have a 1995 G20 Sherrod conversion. I've spoken with some locals, with varying opinions about how to replace my transmission that is increasingly worsening at slipping. At first it was just in overdrive on the highway. Now in drive around town. The van has 350/ 4L60E, I believe. I have about 80k miles on it and only 6000$ in it, so rebuilding is not an option.

I am told by some that I would need a 1995 4L60E to replace. Is this correct? If not, what are my options?

Thanks!

Mike
Old August 4th, 2016, 1:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is rebuilding not an option. A rebuilt tranny is better than a used one....
Old August 4th, 2016, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canuckhead, is correct rebuilds are usually more reliable BUT a used unit can cost as little as $200-500 US and last for a decade or more.

If money is a issue I would not hesitate to find a used unit with fluid that is clean bright red and of course does not smell burnt, this should be very easy. The rebuild or a re-manufactured unit is best but personally I would visit a salvage yard and spend a few hundred bucks and roll the dice.
Old August 8th, 2016, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost is the sole reason for not going with the rebuild.

I have found a 1996 4L60E locally in NW MO. From a blazer S10, which I believe means that it was a V6. 2WD, as I require.

Where do I learn whether this is a compatible transmission?

Thanks!

Mike