Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Replacing fixed windows with pop-outs (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/replacing-fixed-windows-pop-outs-42701/)

mikemtnbikes May 22nd, 2011 10:04 PM

Replacing fixed windows with pop-outs

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with replacing the fixed side/cargo or back door windows with pop-out windows. I have a recently purchased 2000 Express and would like to improve the airflow. I have found some pop-out windows at a junkyard but am wondering if it's easy and or advisable to do.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

endneu913 February 27th, 2015 10:10 PM

Resurrection of dead thread... I have identical question! Anyone? :)

canucklehead February 28th, 2015 12:11 AM

Rear window pop outs do nothing for ventilation. The side one on the drivers side would, but wow, the cost. Cheaper to do a moonroof.....

endneu913 February 28th, 2015 11:05 AM

We camp out of our converted Cargo version and always crack the front windows, and frequently need to crack the back door to get some air moving especially in warmer months. So while an argument can be made that it may not help ventilate while driving, it absolutely helps while snoozing :) ( although I read one person who said that cracked rear windows while driving dramatically cooled down the cave)

I am finally replacing my side barn doors with pop out windows as well, so if I stop here, I'll be fine. But my buddy picked up all 4 pop windows for His ford van and replaced them in an an afternoon. So it must be doable! :) which inspired me to try ....

canucklehead February 28th, 2015 3:44 PM

True. I was only thinking of driving. The rear windows only suck in a bit of the draft behind the van which could include some exhaust gasses. So rear doors and windows should always be closed while cruising.....Windows on the side or roof will draw out the hot air in the back and pull in cool air from the front windows.....Our minivan had power rear side windows and wow what a difference......
I would look into some aftermarket pop outs that you could mount up high on the rear sides....or a rear moon roof if that is possible with the ribbing in the sheet metal on the roof.....would make the biggest difference.....

dberladyn March 1st, 2015 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by canucklehead (Post 296492)
True. I was only thinking of driving. The rear windows only suck in a bit of the draft behind the van which could include some exhaust gasses.

Theoretically, if there is a vacuum behind the van wouldn't the cracked windows pull air OUT of the van? Especially if the front windows are cracked open as well, or if the blower is running? Just my thoughts.

I'm glad I have no windows otherwise I'd have to consider this option. I'd assume it's rather simple to remove fixed windows and to replace them with ones that pop open.

canucklehead March 1st, 2015 12:37 PM

No. The air behind the van is swirling up against the back doors. That is why the rear doors and windows get more road grime than any other part of the truck. The van has its exhaust on the side by the rear wheel so its not as bad for pulling in exhaust as vehicles with the tail pipes under the rear bumper.....

endneu913 March 1st, 2015 4:51 PM

Well... If I get around to doing it on the rears, I'll make a write up with pictures. For now I'm going with all new side barns, with pop windows in place of my existing windowless ones.

canucklehead March 1st, 2015 5:57 PM

That will make a nice difference. If only there was a power side window option. I loved that on our caravan.....

endneu913 March 2nd, 2015 9:55 AM

Yeah considering that my all black interior is rather dark, some window light in there will be nice, and also the blind spot visability will be huge. And venting for rear passengers. There's a local yard that wants $350 for a set of barn pop window doors, and they will take my existing ones on trade to lower the price. I'm hoping to get out the door ( no pun intended) for $250.

Does that sound exorbitant? $