Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Replacing stereo in late model vans?

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2015, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stereo in late model vans?

Hi All,
I was going to replace the stereo in my 2009 Express LT but while adding parts to my cart on Crutchfield, I noticed you can not buy the direct-fit harness adapters for this year. In searching the web, I did find a couple aftermarket stereos that mention they are compatible with this year express van, but they are $500 bucks! Has anyone had success with a stereo replacement? I don't care if I have to just hardwire the positive, ground, lights, etc. and cut wires (i.e. no wiring harness) but I'm a bit worried after hearing that I might loose door chimes. Any ideas or experience?
Old October 15th, 2015, 6:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by klockw243
Hi All,
I was going to replace the stereo in my 2009 Express LT but while adding parts to my cart on Crutchfield, I noticed you can not buy the direct-fit harness adapters for this year. In searching the web, I did find a couple aftermarket stereos that mention they are compatible with this year express van, but they are $500 bucks! Has anyone had success with a stereo replacement? I don't care if I have to just hardwire the positive, ground, lights, etc. and cut wires (i.e. no wiring harness) but I'm a bit worried after hearing that I might loose door chimes. Any ideas or experience?
You don't need to cut any wires. I wouldn't, that'd be a mistake. You can get an adapter that plugs right in, I have them here. You'll find them on eBay and all over the Web. Yes, you will lose chimes, turn signals, etc. There's two ways around this. You can get a chime module for 75 to 200, but they dont sound as Good as the factory. I myself have two gm radios coded to the truck. One I am going to take apart so I can just use the printed circuit board as my chime module. It works, it keeps it factory and please don't ask me how to wire everything. Each set up is different.
Old October 16th, 2015, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info! It was sounding so much more complicated when I looked it up, and I was shocked to have trouble finding compatible wiring harnesses; maybe it's just because the Express is a less-than-common vehicle to modify.

I don't really care about chimes or turn signals, but I just wanted to make sure that disconnecting it wasn't going to screw up other stuff.
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM
CF Pro Member

The wiring schematics and harness adapter are common to all GM's in that wiring period. It doesn't boil down something that is Savana/Express Specific. I can tell you what each wire is for, but I can't post any files small enough kb wise into this post. I don't have anything handy. You should easily find information online.

Oh, you will lose RAP if you take the radio out. Retained Accessory Power. It's controlled via the radio. I don't know why GM did that, but they did.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 16th, 2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old October 18th, 2015, 1:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Here, hopefully this file will help you with the wiring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
US8 Radio.pdf (542.2 KB, 488 views)
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for that diagram!
Yeah, I really don't mind about loosing the RAP; I'll just turn the key to ACCY if I need to roll the windows back up or listen to the radio, however some of the 3rd party "chime" modules say they also issue a "healthy status" message to the vehicle computer. That seems weird/false, but with modern car electronics, I guess it wouldn't surprise me.
Old October 19th, 2015, 6:36 PM
CF Pro Member

You'd be surprised how much you are going to miss RAP. Mine has been disconnected for a month and half and not having it drives me nuts. Once you are used to something you miss it more than you know.

The Chimes, to me they are important. I often have a turn signal blinking without knowing it, my Parking Assist doesn't work, I am confused when I hit the lock button with the door open -> there's no 3 chime telltale letting me know delayed lock is activated. The only message I have on my dash, is a constant one. Park Assist Disabled (the BCM knows there's no chime module). Oh, if you have Onstar, kiss that goodbye too.
Old October 30th, 2015, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I have an 88 G20 I need a wiring diagram for the radio. The wires were cut and spliced before I bought it.
Old October 30th, 2015, 5:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They might be in a Haynes repair manual...