Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

right rear blinker

Old June 22nd, 2018, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question right rear blinker

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Chevy Express 3500 (10 passenger van)...just recently on a family trip I was changing lanes, and notice that the right turn signal indicator on my dash was bllinking very dimly. So dim, you can;t see it in daylight. My left one flashes "normal" and bright.

When I got home I checked the blinkers, and the front right blinker was just faintly blinking, and the rear was not at all. I went to auto supply and bought all new bulbs for the rear right tail light and blinker, and yellow bulb for front right blinker. Figured I may as well replace them all. I cleaned all the contacts, installed new bulbs, and everything seemed back to normal. Worked for maybe 10-15 minutes. then SAME problem again. SO....I got out and looked, front light blinking very dimly, and absolutely no blinking in rear right again.

what the heck is the problem here? I am at a loss. all new bulb, all contacts cleaned...but something just isn't right and my right blinker isn't working correctly. Also, the dash indicator is also dimly blinking again.

Any help on this one would be great.

Thanks
Old June 22nd, 2018, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

My first impression is that it sounds like a wiring harness failure somewhere.

The first step of electrical troubleshooting: Start tracking down the problem, by elimination.

- Are the bulbs OK? Apply 12V and check.
- What is voltage at the bulb socket? Check with multimeter.
- Get yourself a circuit diagram, and start working your way "upstream", checking voltages as you go, until you locate the where things break down.
- Not a bad idea to check condition of fuses. Measure the voltage on both sides.

diagrams: Search Wiring Diagrams
Old June 22nd, 2018, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check and clean out the reverse light and brake lights? I had rust in my left reverse light socket.

Did you check the flasher module/relay
Old June 24th, 2018, 4:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's usually the rear pig-tail. These things are notorious for corrosion. Couple years back I picked up a pair at Amazon and replaced both rear light pigtails. They're like this: https://amzn.to/2luzGiH

This isn't the set I got but same thing - look around on Amazon for a better deal. I think I paid under $30 for both sets.
Old July 1st, 2018, 9:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a problem with my right rear blinker on my 2001 Express LT that was somewhat similar. I found that I had a faulty ground at that tail light. I ran a new ground wire to it and solved the problem. You might just try an additional ground and see what happens.

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
My first impression is that it sounds like a wiring harness failure somewhere.

The first step of electrical troubleshooting: Start tracking down the problem, by elimination.

- Are the bulbs OK? Apply 12V and check.
- What is voltage at the bulb socket? Check with multimeter.
- Get yourself a circuit diagram, and start working your way "upstream", checking voltages as you go, until you locate the where things break down.
- Not a bad idea to check condition of fuses. Measure the voltage on both sides.

diagrams: Search Wiring Diagrams

Search this Thread