Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Savana and Express getting the 2.8L Duramax in 2017

Old April 8th, 2016, 9:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Savana and Express getting the 2.8L Duramax in 2017

As the title states.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/03/2017-gmc-savana-and-chevy-express-gain-2-8-liter-duramax-diesel-option/
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is if true, really good news.
Seeing GM invest in these vans and continue to resist the retarded Euro van movement is great. These vans are tough, full frame, full width trucks. The new vans like the transit and sprinter are way more $$$ and I hate the interior. Its like spending 70 grand for an airport shuttle bus.
For those of us who don't by cargo vans, but instead get a nice passenger van, and use it for work as well as family trips, the Express Savana are the Only choice.
Gm's biggest mistake was not continuing the AWD option on the 3/4 ton chassis. Maybe the new 6 speed tranny wasn't compatible, but the AWD was a niche they owned.
I just bought a 2013 savana passenger SLE AWD and by the time its worn out, I hope that GM still makes these vans so I will be able to grab a newer used one again.......as for the AWD....I guess I'll see about that then.
Old April 9th, 2016, 6:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with you. That's the only option I wish I had, AWD. Mond you I'd lose my 6.0, 6 speed and one ton rating, but.. I don't know, everytime I see an AWD I wish I had it.

If these 2.8L diesels were around I would have been interested in one last year, now however... I'm not sure it'll be powerful enough. I think I read they are dropping the 6.6L diesel which I think it a mistake.

Perhaps what GM is really doing is testing a drivetrain for new upcoming model. Build the 2.8L / 8 speed for a few years, see how it performs, sells... then modify the new chassis to accomidate.
Old April 10th, 2016, 2:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm all for a new smaller diesel. The 6.6 are crappy on gas now since they had to win the who's got more torque war....
Old April 11th, 2016, 6:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, this was my idea! I called it! On some thread a month or so back I said put Canyon diesel in the van. I think getting rid of the big Duramax is a mistake too. What about the big 4500 box trucks and buses, etc?

Search this Thread