Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Seats - Bolt right in

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2018, 1:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seats - Bolt right in

Ok. I seem to go full circle with all of my ideas. Since the seats are actually decent (for my comfort), if I keep having a hard time finding something I like at a reasonable cost, I will just determine that I already have the best option. Factory vinyl manual seats. I installed the factory wiring for power seats, but I can never find the mechanisms at a low enough cost. The one time I could have pulled them out of a van being wrecked I was too lazy. I probably do not even want power seats, but I keep looking. Anyways, I would like a list of seats that simply bolt right into the factory pedestals. I have a hard time believing that Savana/Express seats are the only GM seats that fit this bolt pattern.

Not confirmed but I think the following bolt right in:

- Astro / Safari seats
- Malibu seats

I really have no idea, no confirmation, but is there anyway we can get a real list going? Surely it would help everyone?

Last edited by dberladyn; November 17th, 2018 at 8:30 AM.
Old November 17th, 2018, 1:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Not confirmed but I think the following bolt right in:

- Astro / Safari seats
That's a no.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...-drawer-91965/
Old November 17th, 2018, 9:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just spitballin' here, but I would think that seats for cars might be a different height than seats for vans. Yes,I'm aware of the pedestal making van seats sit higher. But the interior height in a car is limiting. That, and vans (and trucks) have a stiffer ride, so added seat cushion could come in handy.
Old November 17th, 2018, 10:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Spitball away! As long as it's not in the face...

I am going to digress and just accept that this bolt pattern only works with Savana / Express. I think I had read the older GM Vans have seats that bolt right in, but I'll probably be wrong at that too. Meanwhile, I think I am going start dreaming of ideas on how to make my cab look like this one.

Old November 18th, 2018, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

I like the idea of a center console, but I like the ability to move to the rear better.
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I'm with Stan. The cockpit in your photo gives me claustrophobia.
Old November 18th, 2018, 6:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Well, for how I am suppose to be using this van a console is already earmarked for construction. It has just been near impossible to get into the position to build all of this stuff. It was not using the van for work, if it was a camping truck, or a passenger wagon I would side with you guys. I am going to have a bulkhead separating the front from the back. I had a nicely shaped and painted piece of 3/4 plywood but I took that out as I would to be able to recline my seats. That is where my headache is. Designing it all to work for maximum usability, for the from as a passenger and for the rear as a work platform. I wish the swing doors were different. Either further back or the large door towards the rear and the small one up front. I don't know, I guess it would all lose aesthetics if that was the case.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 8:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A junk yard is obviously the most affordable option (if you can find what you are looking for), but this is the best price that I could find for an aftermarket powered seat base.

https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/rv-bases/class-a-rv-bases/6-way-power-base.html

I haven't verified the bolt pattern, but its something I'm considering. My biggest problem is that the collapsed height is 4 inches, according to the specs. Adding that on top of the stock seat riser will raise the overall seat height. I'm tall, I need it to be lower, but still raise up to accommodate my wife (the 1.5 inches of rise still might not be enough)... So, it will likely require additional fabrication, unless I find an alternate seat with a shorter bottom...

I know some on this forum have successfully replaced their front seats, but I'm not sure if any of their projects were direct seat-for-seat swaps.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Real-Estate here really took off and all of the wrecking yards that I was familiar with closed up. There used to be lots of them. Now the only ones I know of are an hour away. When I phone they either have no Savana/Express'es in stock, or it's just some optionless cargo beast that has been gutted. I find a good place to look is Craiglist. From time to time, someone seems to wreck their vehicle and for whatever reason it is sitting at their home or lot getting parted out. That was the only place I found power seat bases for an affordable cost. They are on Ebay new from time to time for around $250. Then you still need to find the wires, switch base and switch plate. The cost is not worth it.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 8:10 PM
CF Veteran

I pulled power seats out of my '93 Astro to go in my '00 Astro, and the switch stuff was all part of the base.