Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Service Deterrent System

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2017, 4:19 PM
AHC
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Service Deterrent System

I am trying to program additional keys for my 2010 Chevrolet Express G2500 Cargo Van. I put my original key in and the van fires up as it should ... no problems but when I insert the OEM chipped keys that I had cut, I get the message SERVICE DETERRENT SYSTEM and little car/padlock light stays illuminated. Just wanted to program these extra keys. I insert the original key and start engine until lights go out on dash then turn to off and within 10 seconds I insert a key to program and turn to on/run and wait for lights to go out on dash but SERVICE DETERRENT SYSTEM message stays as does the car/lock symbol. What am I doing wrong? Could I have exceeded maximum number of (10) keys allowed per owners manual? - I bought used so don't know if there may have been more keys than I received. If so, how do I reset this system so I can program keys? I'd like to avoid a trip to a dealer if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old December 11th, 2017, 6:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this - How to Program a GM or CHEVY Transponder Chip Key - https://itstillruns.com/program-chev...y-5029209.html
Old December 11th, 2017, 6:31 PM
AHC
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=Twscarp;349498]Try this - How to Program a GM or CHEVY Transponder Chip Key - https://itstillruns.com/program-chevy-transponder-chip-key-5029209

Sorry I tried this But got the same result ... message and idiot light with car/lock ... keys will not program.
Old December 11th, 2017, 6:35 PM
CF Senior Member

So did you try the several methods mentioned on the web? Try a good locksmith before the dealer.
Old December 11th, 2017, 8:52 PM
AHC
CF Beginner

Yes. I still have 2 original keys that will start the van but wanted to add 4 more but it just won't allow it. I figure the theft deterrent system has had the maximum allowed keys programmed and somehow I need to clear the system to allow me to program these four along with 2 originals. Since I bought the van used, there may have been other keys programmed by previous owner that I am unaware of.
Old December 11th, 2017, 10:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AHC
Yes. I still have 2 original keys that will start the van but wanted to add 4 more but it just won't allow it. I figure the theft deterrent system has had the maximum allowed keys programmed and somehow I need to clear the system to allow me to program these four along with 2 originals. Since I bought the van used, there may have been other keys programmed by previous owner that I am unaware of.
This guy says up to 12 keys for GM. On Board Programming - GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, Toyota & Lexus
Attached Thumbnails Service Deterrent System-screen-shot-2017-12-11-11.32.37-pm.png