Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   "Service Stabilitrac Soon" (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/service-stabilitrac-soon-90243/)

StanVan May 5th, 2018 7:02 PM

"Service Stabilitrac Soon"

This is a new one. I've had the message before, and upon research,it can happen when you use one of those Bluetooth OBDII devices (like I sometimes do). I unplug it, plug it back in and it works just fine. A known anomaly.

But it happened twice, yesterday and today, and I wasn't using the OBDII thingy (technical term). I plug up the OBDII device, scan for codes with Torque Pro, and no codes. I shut the engine off, restart, and the message goes away.

Anybody else have this happen? Any ideas on what it could be?

Twscarp May 5th, 2018 7:46 PM

Originally Posted by StanVan (Post 356635)
I wasn't using the OBDII thingy (technical term)

I believe it's called a scanner or an interface, but you mentioned it happened twice without the device plugged in right? Maybe try a computer reboot.

ChevyVanMan May 5th, 2018 9:54 PM

Happens when your too quick in a turn, spin tires etc. Stop turn Van off for 30 seconds restart..

mountainmanjoe May 5th, 2018 9:57 PM

There might be some clues here:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...control-45015/

ChevyVanMan May 5th, 2018 10:16 PM

By the way it is in the manual too :-) Wait to you engage engine braking.!!!!!!!!!!

StanVan May 6th, 2018 8:08 AM

One of the times was in a parking lot, and I had just clipped a curb, and probably spun the wheel a bit. When I first had the van, I did spin a wheel one time getting into traffic, and it didn't give the message.

ChevyVanMan May 6th, 2018 8:34 PM

Won't do it much, just certain situations. My GMC 2500 did it once on a gravel road.

StanVan May 6th, 2018 11:46 PM

Happened again, in the driveway, backing it from the front into the back yard. I'll try a reboot tomorrow.

StanVan May 7th, 2018 11:08 AM

Okay, that was scary. Never done a reboot before, and when I went to start it afterwards, it had to "think" about it. Second start was fine. I'm off to run errands. I'll report later.

ChevyVanMan May 8th, 2018 3:05 PM

Reboot ?

mountainmanjoe May 8th, 2018 3:43 PM

disconnect/reconnect battery. Resets the main computer.

StanVan May 8th, 2018 9:35 PM

And, I've been told, you also need to short the cables after you disconnect them. Makes sense, as any capacitors could hold a charge and not allow the reboot to do any good.

But alas, the reboot didn't do the trick. It happened twice today. Once when I put it in reverse to back in to a parking space, and once at 20ish mph, on an almost 90 degree turn. I'm thinking maybe a sensor either unplugged or intermittent in some way. Are there sensors at the wheels?

mountainmanjoe May 8th, 2018 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, there are so many different things that can trigger this message. I think a good scanner should pick up the exact condition.

Anyway, are all your tires factory size? Evenly worn? Evenly inflated?

There are speed sensors on each of the four hubs. Make sure there isn't too much buildup on them or toothed reluctor ring. I'm sure some google-fu would tell you what they should read on an ohm-meter.

Other involved gadgetry is the brake controller (under the seat on my van), lateral accelerometer and rollover sensor (mounted to floor right behind doghouse, above the transmission)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_t...0/IMAG0138.jpg

StanVan May 9th, 2018 8:28 AM

I wondered what that lump was. My little cooler likes to fall off of it.

The first year of it's life, it was a rental. I got it with 19K, so I assume the tires are original. TPMS says the pressure is within specs. Tread looks good and even. In the next week or so, I'll have the rear wheels off to swap out the shocks. Unless I see an obvious issue, I guess I'll be pulling the front as well.

mountainmanjoe May 9th, 2018 2:37 PM

By even wear, I mean same tread depth on all four. A difference of 1/4" can give conflicting speed signals.

StanVan May 9th, 2018 3:11 PM

Having/had 3 AWDs, I know about even tread wear on all 4 tires. They're all the same size/model/wear.

ChevyVanMan May 12th, 2018 9:18 PM

Maybe you have a connector loose or not making good connect.

ChevyVanMan May 12th, 2018 9:19 PM

Still under warranty ?

ChevyVanMan June 11th, 2018 10:38 AM

Well Stan, what did you ever find out was the problem with stability Trak ?
Thank you
Kenny

StanVan June 11th, 2018 12:45 PM

Nothing yet. It seemed to go away for a week or so, but it came back today. I need to find some time next week to get it in to the dealer.

Artie1 June 12th, 2018 11:02 AM

The EBCM has diagnostic codes, just like multiple other car systems. You need to have the codes read with Tech 2 (the old good Tech 2 will still read 2016 vans) or a GM MDI. That will be 10 times more useful than any advice here. Evening out tire pressure, or crossing the battery cables will not fix it, we are not in year 1991 of automotive electronics.

mountainmanjoe June 13th, 2018 5:01 PM

Originally Posted by Artie1 (Post 358263)
we are not in year 1991 of automotive electronics.

Some things don't change much on automobiles. As far as I know, wheel speed sensors don't compensate for tire pressure.

High tech gadgets can certainly be useful but are not a substitute for good old problem solving skills. There's nothing wrong with advice based on first hand knowledge. ;) (But yes, in this case I would get it scanned).

StanVan July 26th, 2018 1:54 PM

Just got it back from the dealer. Apparently, it was a bad "steering wheel position sensor". They had to drop the steering column. And in doing that, they snipped the wires to my aftermarket tweeters, and hands free mic. They did call me first, but I had to splice them back. Had it not been under warranty, it would have been $324.45.

I get a kick out of the terminology. The code was "Sensor not plausible".

ctbimmer July 27th, 2018 3:24 PM

Here's another possibility on a cause for the Stabilitrak/Traction Control fault. I have a 2008 Suburban 2500 and in recent months, several problems began, more or less at the same time, but they didn't always manifest at the same moment. The cruise control began working only intermittently, and on my usual 45-mile highway drive to work, where I'm usually able to avoid any heavy braking, on 3 out of 4 trips, somewhere along the way, I'd get the caution triangle, and these fault messages in the DIC. In one of the other threads, I saw the suggestion that the brake pedal electronic switch (activates brake lights and signals the cruise control module) could be faulty. With some simple experimentation, I became convinced that this was the reason for my cruise issues. Installed a replacement (AC Delco) switch, and it appears all 3 issues are now resolved.

What I discovered, through trial and error, was that with a light application of the brakes, the cruise portion of the switch circuit would remain closed (i.e. brakes on), but on heavier applications, the switch rebounded correctly.

My theory (guess) is that the Stabilitrack/Traction Control was being fooled into believing that the brakes had been "on" for numerous miles, which eventually tripped the fault.

mountainmanjoe July 27th, 2018 10:31 PM

Did they give you the faulty part back? I would tear it apart and find out exactly HOW it failed.

StanVan July 28th, 2018 7:31 AM

No, it was warranty, so I'm guessing it went back to Chevy. Hopefully, they'll look at it.