Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side door hinge issues

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2015, 5:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How To Install New Door Hinge Pins With Grease Fittings On A GM Van, Chevy Suburban, Yukon

Chevy Express 1500 Van Door Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit (2 Greaseable Pins, 4 Bushings, & 2 Snap Rings) - AM Autoparts

Amazon.com: Dorman 38455 Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 38455 Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Kit: Automotive

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
Old June 12th, 2015, 4:03 AM
CF Active Member

Thank you!

EDIT: Install 'how-to': http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...sable_pin.html
window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Last edited by lunghd; November 21st, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
Old November 26th, 2017, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed frozen hinge

2004 Chevy Express Read door Hinges were frozen. Used PB Blaster to flood the hinges 3 days in a row. Sprayed with the door in a variety of open positions and gently rocked the door. Also tapped gently with a hammer. It's now free!
Old May 6th, 2019, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

My 2007 3500 15 passenger van had issue with the side swing doors for about a year now. I had previously tried to free it without success, after reading the posts here. I came back this morning to read about removing the pins to replace them with greasable ones. I have tried with a hammer and punch and they didnt budge.

This morning after re-reading several comments about using penetrating oil, i tried again. All I had was wd40, i sprayed the 4 hinges so they were saturated and then worked the door. The oil started to leak out dark brown, so I applied more wd40. Took about 10 minutes and now the door opens and closes like new. The smaller door was the worse, I had to put my shoulder into the door to get it to close and somewhat latch, leaving a gap since the door wouldn’t seal properly, when we had blowing snow, snow would accumulate on the inside step. The larger door needs a bit more working, but I ran out of wd40. I’ll add some lubricant to make sure it continues to work.
So before taking it to the shop for several hundred dollars, try a can of wd40.

Nic
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:41 AM
CF Junior Member

One thing people need to understand with pb blaster is it's an acid so when your done useing it to free up any parts you need to flush it out with a lub like wd 40 , oil or transmission fluid or something simmler. A friend who had a top line body shop [did a car for j. Lenno] pointed that out to meand if you think about it it's correct. I think that is why you hings freeze up again after useing it to free them up. My g30 is an 87 and i don't [thank god] that problem . I have been following his advice for years about flushing out and relubing pb blaster and it works. I never had to deal ith the new hing troubles but i as wondering if after you luckly free the hing maybe then trying to drive the pins out and replacing them with greasable pins . At least it shounds like it could be a better long term fix. Never tried it but surly someone who has could give us a heads up of how well it worked. Hope this helps and i am sure sooner or later i will run into this problem. Good luck and a curse on who ever came up with this idea !!!!!
Old October 30th, 2019, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

So I have a broken hinge on the door side (side rear door). I am getting conflicting info. Only one hinge is bad.
Chevy dealer (parts guy) says ALL 4 hinges have to be replaced because they are updated and not compatible with the old style.
Another Chevy dealer I called said they have the hinges, each side of the hinge is sold separately. Fine, I only need one side.

Can I replace just one hinge with the updated design, looks like a bolt on style?

Could I replace just the door side of the hinge and keep the original welded body side?

(I had a body shop quote me for just replacing one hinge, but they may not be familiar with the vans and the updated parts)
Old October 31st, 2019, 5:27 AM
CF Active Member

I have just one hinge that is the bolt on style. Your Chevy dealer is so full of sh#t their eyes stink.

By the way... my replacement hinge froze up too.