Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Speedometer Drops to Zero

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2016, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5. Trans does not upshift out of first, speedometer reads zero at all times: Could be VSS failure. Rear of transmission needs to be fixed. Transmission needs to come out in order to access VSS.

I got this from:
30 Common 4L60E Transmission Problems & Repair | Charlotte NC

As I said before, take it to a tranny shop. Not the dealer. A quality tranny shop will know more and better at diagnosing a problem than the dealership.
Please let us know what you find out.....it looks like other have had this issue, but no one has posted a fix. Good luck.
Old March 28th, 2016, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default video uploaded

Originally Posted by Kylebrownell
I still have the same problem. It is now getting worse (almost 1 year later). The Chevy dealership looked at it (twice), charged me a couple hundred bucks and said that they could not find anything. I am very frustrated as I feel like I have a lemon of a vehicle and Chevy can't fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
Follow this link for a video of what is happening.

This just happened today after I posted the recent post. Any recommend a good tranny shop in Woodbury, MN?
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4L60E (rear wheel drive) transmission doesn't need to come out to access the Vehicle Speed Sensor, colloquially known as the VSS. It is at the rear of the transmission near the drive shaft.

Even on a 4T60E (front wheel drive) I believe the VSS can be accessed with the transmission in the car.