Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Speedometer removal

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2017, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer removal

1988 Chevy G20 conversion van Speedometer makes noise when cold and needle fluctuates violently. Want to remove and repair or get repaired. Need to know if removal is easy enough and how.
Old November 19th, 2017, 8:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This issue sounds more like the cable than the speedo itself.
Old November 21st, 2017, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Speedo

Good possibility. Still how to get to it. Does entire dash have to be disassembled?
Old November 21st, 2017, 6:19 PM
CF Junior Member

On my 87 , g30 just remove the 6 to 8 screws around the speed-o / gages outside cover [some go up from under head light switch cover and matching cover to the right] then a few under that cover holds speed-o and gages unit. Then reach around behind that and pull the little lever where cable slides into the speed-o and it slides out. If i remember right i had to move shifter to low gear [hold brake on] and wiggle it past shifting indacator . My van's speed-o has done it since i got it so let me know if you find a way to fix it. I never had luck lubeing it and even changed the whole unit. When you put it back together just push cable back into speed-o , it will lock it's self back in. Good luck . [i usualy turn the radio up for a few minutes untill it warms up and stops , lol]. I hope this helps .
Old November 22nd, 2017, 4:54 AM
CF Beginner

I removed the screws and tried to pull cluster out but does not come out far enough to put hand behind speedo to release. Thanks for the replies.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 10:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Try removing dog house cover [4 screws , 2 on the bottom and 2 behind ash tray cover , open that cover half way to get to them] and reach in from there. You don't need to remove the dog house it's self. If you have an cigg. Lighter you will need to unplug it after you remove the 4 screws. It's been awile since i had to remove mine but i plan to do it tommorrow to replace light bulbs [after trukey ofcourse]. I hope you all have a ''happy thanksgiving''.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 3:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Something Cablesplicer said has been sticking in my head. Lubing the cable never will work, unless you take it out, remove the inner piece, and flush out all the old lube and dirt. And if you have it out already, why not save the time and effort and just put in a new one. I've cleaned one on a motorcycle, and it was doable. But it was less than 3 feet.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:41 PM
CF Junior Member

That is a good idea . I replaced mine years ago when it broke but don't remember flushung it out. Thanks , i will give that a try next time it warms up here above 28 degrees and i pull my speed-o to replace some light bulbs . I think your to use grafite for lube. I will have to make sure about that. ''happy thanksgiving'' to all.
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

My '79 had the same symptoms.

Turns out the gear on the transmission output shaft had some chipped and missing teeth.