Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Thinking of buying a newer van....

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2016, 6:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a newer van....

Hi all.
Anyone out there have a 2013 Savana SLE passenger all wheel drive?

There is one for sale I am looking at, and am on the fence about pulling the trigger. That's normal for me. I usually hum and haw for ages. I hate big purchases.

My current van is at the 243000 kms mark, and that is where I start to lose faith in its reliablility, and start thinking about a newer one.
Its too bad since my current 2002 has no rust on the body or frame of any kind. Its in great shape. Just the front bumper is rusty, as it the support piece in behind it.

This newer van has less kms, and is almost fully loaded. Just need to add power mirrors, and maybe a tranny cooler since the 1/2 tons don't come with.

Any thoughts, open discussion or advice would we welcome.
Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2016, 1:20 AM
CF Veteran

124 views and no comments.....c'mon. Give me some advice.
How is the AWD?
How is the newer interior/dash?
Anyone added power mirrors to a van that came with manual? Was the wiring harness there already...etc
Anyone add a tranny cooler to a 1/2 ton van?
How about a billet grille, or fog lights?
Old February 20th, 2016, 1:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the 1500 be adequate for your line of work? AWD does sound nice. But might be worth shopping around for a van that already has everything you want?

My 2013 GMC does not have power mirrors either.. I was surprised and it really sux especially when using a trailer. Since dberladen is our resident upgrade expert..I would await answer from him
Old February 20th, 2016, 3:02 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, 1/2 ton is fine. In fact I'd bet that most trades need the room not the max load weight.....
Buying side mirrors on ebay doesn't seem that tricky. I have read that in some cases the wiring is already there if you have power windows and locks....which would be nice.
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with your statement "most trades need the room not the max load weight" A 1500 would suit my needs 80% of the time though I do need the suspension and brakes of a one ton to pull a 8000lb+ trailer the other 20%.

Regarding the mirrors even though mine are power other than the defrost feature I could survive with manual mirrors. With any luck maybe the van is prewired.
Old March 1st, 2016, 5:12 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks.
I did go ahead any buy the 2013. Have not got it yet, but so far it sounds like it s a nice clean truck. Looks like this one.
http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2013_g...2045745881.jpg
Old March 1st, 2016, 5:13 PM
CF Veteran

Funny, my new half ton has a higher towing capacity than my 2002 3/4 ton. The gvw is only a few hundred pounds less too. All on passenger standard load tires vs the 10 plys on my 02.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that is excellent, wonder why the towing rating and GVWR is higher than your 2002.

With over a decade difference in age between your 2002 and 2014, Express Vans have had many upgrades/changes for the better, so I guess not really surprising about the higher tow rating.

Last edited by solwav; March 7th, 2016 at 8:36 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 3:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by solwav
Well that is excellent, wonder why is the towing rating and GVWR higher than your 2002.

With over a decade difference in age between your 2002 and 2014, Express Vans have had many upgrades/changes for the better, so I guess not really surprising about the higher tow rating.
Yes, the difference between my 99 3500 and 2013 3500 is quite a jump. The same load in the newer van doesn't even sag the rear. The old G30 was still king of the hill though.