Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tire Chain Question

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2017, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Chain Question

I have a 2016 Chevy Express 2016 LS Passenger Van. My daughter just bought a place on a hill in PA that may present an issue getting in and out in the winter. So I'm thinking having a set of tire chains in the van might be a good idea. My issue is with the 2016 Express Manual which states:

For Cutaway models with LT245/75R16, LT225/75R16 or LT215/85R16 size singel or dual rear tires use Low Profile Z-Chain or SAE Class S cables.
and

For Cargo or Passenger models with P245/70R17, LT225/75R16 or LT245/75R16 size tires, use Low Profile Z-Chain cables. SAE Class S chains are not recommended.
I have a Passenger van with LT245/75R16 tires. I don't understand why there is a difference with the cutaway van and a passenger or cargo van. Unless GM is worried that I'm fully loaded and there would be interference between the tire with chain and the wheel well. I'm rarely fully loaded. Plus I should know enough that if I'm fully loaded don't use chains on ice and snow and go through ruts. I'm not going off-road, though the driveway and their road may be good for filming the Hobbit. Unloaded there has to be a good 8" of clearance between the tire and the body of the van.

Is anyone running a tire chain on a GM truck? If I buy a tire chain that only hits the tire, and don't load up the van, what's the issue?

I appreciate feed back. It appears to me that GM is extremely conservative. Surely someone on the West Coast where chains are required to go through the mountains knows what we can really do.
Old January 9th, 2017, 9:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost any chain will fit the rears but the front tire has barely any clearance for even a mud flap....
Old January 9th, 2017, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

The manual states "Install them on the tires of the rear axle. Do not use chains on the tires of the front axle". I agree it looks like a lot of room which is why I question where GM recommends a low profile Z-chain cable and against using an SAE Class S chain. Have you used chains on the rear?
Old January 9th, 2017, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, not on an express. I used them on my 95 g 20 though. I had a set of cable chains, and they worked fine.....
my new 2013 is all wheel drive and is so awesome in the snow I will never need chains again.....lol.
Old January 10th, 2017, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you;

I've read reviews on Security Chain Company ZT741 Super Z LT Light Truck and SUV Tire Traction Chain. One of the reviewers mounted them on an open wheel vehicle and noted that at 30 MPH the chains flew about 2" above the top of the wheel due to centrifugal force. I suppose all chains may expand as the wheel speeds up and maybe that's what GM is concerned about. Plus Security Chain Company's Z chain is held on using what looks like a rubber band. And the 245/75R15 tires are huge.

I rarely exceed 30 MPH on the road in PA I might need them on when its dry. I can't see going that fast if the road were icy and if I need chains I would be doing less than 20 MPH. Over 20 MPH up their driveway is hard to do when its dry.

I'm thinking of ordering the Super Z LT series instead of the Super Z6 which has a "lower profile". First I'll double check the inside of the rear tires for anything that might be in way.
Old January 19th, 2017, 7:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your clearance at the leaf spring.