Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Tire Rant (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/tire-rant-95743/)

StanVan June 2nd, 2019 3:37 PM

Tire Rant

I have 37k on Le Moose. I had a ripping puncture that couldn't be plugged. I researched the stock tires (Bridgestone something or other), and found they are a 40k mile tire. Really? I get the whole "lowest bidder" thing, but wow. Kinda disappointed.

What I got was a set of Firestone Transforce HTs. I haven't put any miles on them except to get me home (30 minute highway drive) but I swear they take a bump better than the B'Stones. I got them at Wallymart on line, and had them put them on. They were $15 cheaper than the B'Stones too. The other thing I'd say is they're quieter than the stock tires. The B'Stones had an annoying "singing" on cement, and the Firestones don't.

canucklehead June 2nd, 2019 4:30 PM

I love my 4 season Nokian Rotivas.

tech2 June 2nd, 2019 5:14 PM

transforce are the oem tires for all ram 2500's. they will be a 40 000- 50 000km tire also. pretty much all original tires are. I run them on my truck and while they are no duratrac ; i'm ok with them for the price. Dealers have piles of them from new truck take offs...they can be had pretty cheap for a load range e tire.

They run quiet have a pretty deep tread depth, run ok in the snow.

Beau Oszman June 2nd, 2019 5:26 PM

If you can inspect the tires while purchasing, don't be afraid to get a fingernail into the display tread. Compare to your heart's content. This will give you an idea of life vs grip/performance.
(Sorry I ride too)

StanVan June 2nd, 2019 10:02 PM

Kinda hard to do online. Nobody in town had anything in stock I could afford.

I went with the Transforce based on reviews, and what was said about tread life. The ride was just icing on the cake.

mountainmanjoe June 3rd, 2019 12:48 AM

I only believe in true domestic tires: Goodyear and Cooper. I had Coopers on my previous van and trust them. They exceeded my expectations. I currently have Goodyears and am happy with them. No issues.

I've seen too many horror stories with the rest.

dberladyn June 8th, 2019 9:33 AM

Bridgestone are good tires are they not?

At least, they do make a good tire. At least, at one time they did. Thirty years ago, I recall my dad talking about which tire companies were good and which were not. With a lifetime experience in heavy duty trailer manufacturing, sales and heavy duty truck servicing, parts and sales he knew his stuff, along with people who drive millions of miles. I suppose it is like anything though, it's just as label. At least perhaps these days. Michelin was in his good books. Bridgestone was good in his books.

I have 57,000Km on my factory tires which are Bridgestone. I was looking at them the other day. Without any means to measure, they look to be about 60-70% tread or so. Still well above the wear bars. I have had to replace one or two of them. Same tire each instance I think. $350 a pop.

Factory tires:

Bridgestone
V-Steel R18 265

LT245/75R16 (120 / II6S)

mountainmanjoe June 8th, 2019 1:50 PM

Bridgestone/Firestone? LOL
The ones that were exploding on the highway. Second largest recall in US history (many millions of products). Killed or injured around 1000 people. They tried to cover it up, and thenblamed the problem on the consumers hitting potholes, and then Ford because the vehicles rolled over. Led to US congress investigation making new laws to protect consumer safety.

And for $350 per tire??? not on your life!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ss_AT_tire.png

Beau Oszman June 8th, 2019 2:12 PM

Previous owner put 255 listed of 235. Barely clears the wheel wells. Thinking i might keep that size, makes getting under her just a little easier.

oilcanhenry June 8th, 2019 4:25 PM

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe (Post 428964)
I only believe in true domestic tires: Goodyear and Cooper. I tried both on my previous van and trust them.

I've seen too many horror stories with the rest.

Bridgestone tires were the brand famous for blowing out on the Found On Road Dead Explorers. I myself saw a blowout on the freeway, years ago. The two somewhat elderly ladies in the vehicle were upside down on the roadway, with only the seat-belts keeping them inside the Fix Or Repair Daily Explorer. Thankfully they were lucky and didn't keep rolling over into another lane and risk getting hit at 70 MPH, by some idiot "driving" another vehicle. I am sure Flipped Over Roadway Disaster was sued by them. I parked the rig behind them, to offer them some protection until the highway patrol and the meatwagon made it there,