Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tire Rant

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 5:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Forcibly Only Runs Downhill ended their 100yr old relationship with Bridgestone after that debacle. Sheesh meatwagon is a horrible sounding term
Old June 8th, 2019, 7:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Forcibly Only Runs Downhill ended their 100yr old relationship with Bridgestone after that debacle. Sheesh meatwagon is a horrible sounding term
Yeah it really is truthfully, but it's just slang which drivers use all the time, particularly back in the heyday of CB radios. I could write a book about it, (someone likely has)
as it varies from some one state or area of the US to others places. The good old boys down in the South have lots of slang words I would never even think of posting here.
Old June 8th, 2019, 8:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Bridgestone/Firestone? LOL
The ones that were exploding on the highway. Second largest recall in US history (many millions of products). Killed or injured around 1000 people. They tried to cover it up, and thenblamed the problem on the consumers hitting potholes, and then Ford because the vehicles rolled over. Led to US congress investigation making new laws to protect consumer safety.

And for $350 per tire??? not on your life!

Yikes!! That IS one expensive set of tires, even for a light pickup-truck/SUV tire and in more then one way too. Thankfully those women in the Explorer were not seriously injured, but they got banged up real good. I dont trust Uniroyal's either. They had some issues back then too. Had my K-1500 aligned a couple months back and I see
that some brands of tires are made in Vietnam. No way, no how. I almost got a free tour of VN, courtesy of the US government armed forces back in the early 1970's.

I think I will stay with Goodyear's, when I change the stock tires on my 15" Malibu. I love the car, but a few week back I made a legal U-Turn and slowly put the right front tire up on a rounded sidewalk as I have done with all my other cars, no problem. The car body sits so low to the tires, it tore the front part of the plastic inner wheel-well splash cover right off, (its a two-piece design) so no larger tires on that car. I got a new one for $49 bucks & $10 bucks shipping. Guess I wont be doing that anymore.

Darn federal fuel-mileage standards have all the new cars sitting so low you can't drive them like we used to do. Oh well, if it's not one thing, its always something else!
Old June 8th, 2019, 9:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Bridge stones back on mine. Changed at 45k as first owner didn't know about rotation every 5k or aligning the front end on a new vehicle. Let us know how they work out..
Ken
Old June 9th, 2019, 1:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I should have clarified $350 Canadian per tire. What is that $220 USD?

I am not sure what you guys run, but my truck is a one ton and the tires are six ply. I have faith in Bridgestone. Many corporations get a CEO, or management, that tries to boost profits by criminal mistakes. Doesn't matter the company. I would assume in regards to large tire companies, few and far between would be the corporation that never made a cut for a profit. These are the factory tires. I have gone through one to two right rear tires from NAILS. One entered the sidewall or something rather, and my tire guy friend explained I should just get a new tire for this reason (if it wasn't a sidewall on this truck, I forget). Then the second time some dumb b!tch actually swept nails under my truck, thinking that that was a great way to clean off a driveway and someone else's garbage. I didn't know.. the light came on, I had no time to stop, then I was on the freeway up a large long steep hill into North Vancouver and boom... suddenly I am riding the rim. What mess, because if you knew the pressure I was under to get a job done to get paid before a guy flew to Asia so I would have money to pay rent and keep going... what a dumb ****. They she had the gall to try to weasel money out of me.. she was one crazy b!tch.. not even worth of the title b!tch, she was ditch pig. A nasty dig pig. She didn't like it when I suggested how about you just give me $350 for my tire and shut the F@#$ up.
Old June 9th, 2019, 2:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have absolutely no reason to gamble with tires.

On my old van, I had BFG All-Terrain T/A KO (7 ply, snowflake rating), and then Cooper Discoverer S/T. Both are proven, highly regarded tires for under $200.

Have a look at these Goodyears for $150:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...p.0071053.html
Unless you're going off road, the particular tire construction (plies etc) shouldn't concern you too much as long as the tire meets the load rating you need.
Old June 9th, 2019, 2:39 AM
CF Pro Member

I don't know guys... when you have a new truck and it has new tires... when one blows.. you kind of want to buy the same tire. This way they all match. Realistically, I should have been buying in pairs. Each time I had to do it with this truck they had to be shipped from the only warehouse in town that stocked them. I did have the idea that I would buy a different tire when I replace the set, but I actually like these tires (aside from snow). Six ply, generally heavier duty tires are 6 ply, or even 8 ply I think on light trucks. If the cost isn't an issue when if comes to replace these I have no issue buying the same tires again. They are not loud, they look decent, they ride and handle well, they meet the factory specs and load ratings. I would be surprised if you all do not have 6 ply, but there's chance you do not. Not with 1/2 tons and the like.

---

I was confused, like over some older tidbit of information floating around in my head. I have load-range E tires, or what I assume is 10 ply.

Last edited by dberladyn; June 9th, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old June 9th, 2019, 3:00 AM
Super Moderator

I think the "plies" are mostly just marketing **** anyway. The ratings are what really matters. LT versus P and load range.

Yes replace tires in pairs.

The Bridgestone hand-grenades were installed by Ford and met OEM specs at the time too
Old June 9th, 2019, 3:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=55
Old June 9th, 2019, 8:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, this thread took a turn.

In this day and age, a company can't hide a bad product. You can't "scrub" the internet of negative comments or reviews. You may have gotten away with that in the past, but not now. If bad things happen, people go to today's soapbox- the internet.

So now that I've had the chance to do some more highway travel, I LOVE MY NEW SHOES!! The stock Bridgestone's had a terrible "singing" on cement, and not only is it gone, it seems that there may have been other, less annoying noise that is also missing. It is a total pleasure to be on the highway with the windows down.

Quick Reply: Tire Rant