Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

tires and rims question

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2017, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires and rims question

Just bought a 93 Chevy Jayco G20 Conversion van. The tires now are all bad (warped), they put 295/50/15 on them because the recommended tires 225/75/15, they said were unstable on highways. Also the rims arent original but are 15 inches. Is there another recommended size? And should i opt for Light Truck tires? And should i get smaller in front and bigger in back?

Last edited by harper87; October 23rd, 2017 at 7:48 PM.
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The whole "larger rear, smaller front" look cool, but doesn't allow you to rotate them (Dad joke-"Don't they rotate when you drive?)
I would ask if all the rims are the same width? That would make it easier to make that decision. And knowing the width will make it easier to get the correct size.
Old October 24th, 2017, 7:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the vehicle has 3 or 4 channel abs brakes...you do not want mismatched tire sizes. the rolling circumference should all match.
LT tires are definitely a better constructed tire. if the chassis is 2500/3500, LT tires are a must.
Old October 24th, 2017, 8:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Pictures tell a thousand words..
Show us what you see...
Old October 24th, 2017, 8:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Experience with Size of tires.. Side wall Side wall Side wall.. that makes all the difference
with quality of ride... lower the profile you will feel the road more...I understand the principle
of a stiffer side wall .... to help the driver feel like they have better control.. but IMO, why would
anyone want to loose quality of ride ?
If the vehicle feels unstable with recommended tire size then you have to ask what else has
been altered on the truck that was not there when the vehicle came off the assembly line.
I have seen in the past were sway bar in the rear were not added to bigger vehicles.. but after one
was put on it was like why was it not there in the first place.. so I would have to ask.. does your
vehicle have a rear sway bar ?
Old October 26th, 2017, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Here's some pics

Old October 26th, 2017, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, all the tires are same size right now.

Originally Posted by StanVan
The whole "larger rear, smaller front" look cool, but doesn't allow you to rotate them (Dad joke-"Don't they rotate when you drive?)
I would ask if all the rims are the same width? That would make it easier to make that decision. And knowing the width will make it easier to get the correct size.
Old October 26th, 2017, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, how would I find out the chassis info?
Originally Posted by tech2
if the vehicle has 3 or 4 channel abs brakes...you do not want mismatched tire sizes. the rolling circumference should all match.
LT tires are definitely a better constructed tire. if the chassis is 2500/3500, LT tires are a must.
Old October 26th, 2017, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Gotta check on the sway bar, but I believe the roof was altered I posted picture of it.

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
My Experience with Size of tires.. Side wall Side wall Side wall.. that makes all the difference
with quality of ride... lower the profile you will feel the road more...I understand the principle
of a stiffer side wall .... to help the driver feel like they have better control.. but IMO, why would
anyone want to loose quality of ride ?
If the vehicle feels unstable with recommended tire size then you have to ask what else has
been altered on the truck that was not there when the vehicle came off the assembly line.
I have seen in the past were sway bar in the rear were not added to bigger vehicles.. but after one
was put on it was like why was it not there in the first place.. so I would have to ask.. does your
vehicle have a rear sway bar ?
Old October 26th, 2017, 6:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The chassis info may be on your title/registration. It should also be on the sticker on the drivers door where it shows GVRW and tire info. But I think a G20 is now a 2500. Just a guess.