Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

tons of water under rubber cargo mat

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2018, 9:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over night we had Misty rain and this morning the area right behind the wheel well is dry but the very back corner where it drops down had about 1/2" of water in it

This always gets filled with water but and can stare at it and never see where it comes from. I have tried using a snake camera in the C pillars but haven't seen anything
Old December 16th, 2018, 10:43 AM
CF Junior Member

I think I might have solved it, I could see a tiny stream of water down at the bottom filling the hole there. I had my hose on very slow dripping over the driver's rear corner. I took off the tail light and trim and cleaned up under there and sprayed water with a spray bottle and was getting a little inside.
Old December 16th, 2018, 2:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope that's it.
Old December 16th, 2018, 2:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamchevyvanman
I could see a tiny stream of water down at the bottom filling the hole there.
Can you please elaborate?

If you want to be sure that's it, then put a bit of dye in the water.

I would consider making a drain hole in that area where the water pools up. Then stuff some filter foam in it so dust doesn't get in.
Old December 16th, 2018, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SnlpeR
what happens is inside the hood cowl, water gets in there and is supposed to drain from a tube. this tube gets clogged and fills up water and ends up overflowing into the AC air inlet, into the cabin, and down to the rear of the cargo area.
How do you access this tube? I live in a rainy area so I need to be proactive about such things.
Old December 16th, 2018, 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Can you please elaborate?

If you want to be sure that's it, then put a bit of dye in the water.

I would consider making a drain hole in that area where the water pools up. Then stuff some filter foam in it so dust doesn't get in.

After drying out the recessed corner inside the van, I got a spray bottle and starting from the bottom sprayed a stream into the seam that I have the arrow pointing to. Just below the hinge was a good opening and as soon as I started spraying there water was streaming down into the inside corner in the van. I got white silicone and caulked the entire seam. I took the other side apart and did the same but it was sealed pretty well with factory foam. I dried up the padding as best as I could with towels and blower but it still has a bit of water in it. I only loaded up the tools and supplies that I need for tomorrow and when I get home I am going to check it again and continue drying it out. I think this thing has been leaking since day one and the padding has just been wicking up the water and the excess would drip out the back doors. I am pretty confident that this was the problem but I have worked on leaks in houses that I was totally confident that I had fixed the leak only to find out that it did nothing. Hopefully not this time.
Old December 16th, 2018, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Nice sleuthing. Time will tell.

I wouldn't use silicone. I would use an auto body sealing compound, or high quality exterior window sealer (Mono, Quad etc.).

The body sealing they did at the factory is so bad. I was aghast when I stripped down my van.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; December 16th, 2018 at 4:27 PM.
Old December 16th, 2018, 5:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

If possible, remove the mat and get some heat & air moving on it so it can dry. If you have weeks/months of wet you are going to get a mold problem too.
Don't know if it apply to your van - my 93 suburban had a wet rear mat when I got it; dealer took it out & dried it; 2 weeks later wet again. My leak was water coming in around the driver's side tail light; water would fill the rear body panel and slosh out and soak the carpet.
Good luck - leaks are no fun.
Old December 16th, 2018, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

Or you can throw out the padding and make a nice floor that doesn't hold on to water and dirt
Old December 23rd, 2018, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

After 2days of rain I had no water in the recessed area that was getting water in it before so it is fixed. I sent Chevrolet an email describing where my leak was coming from and the said they would send the information to the right department.