Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tranny temperature Switch location

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2018, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to Amazon, buy a $8 ELM327 OBD adapter. Get any Android phone - an old one would suffice. Buy Torque Pro app in PlayStore for $5. Transmission temperature will display on that app through the OBD adapter via Bluetooth. I've been using this for years while towing, along with the Current Gear, Torque converter Clutch slip speed (to see when TC is locked and not), Engine Load, how many gallons of fuel used since trip start - things that are important during towing.
Old November 17th, 2018, 3:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Thank you for repeating what others have already said, but it doesn't always work.
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Yup I understand how the data bus works. I've just never seen a modern vehicle factory dash that shows tranny temp. Gauge nor DIC.
But say there was, then it's just the "simple" matter of reprogramming then PCM?
all depends of the build...trucks that use class 2 data don't even need programming to display...the programming is only for setting the vin in the module or adding options.
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tech2
.the programming is only for setting the vin in the module or adding options.
In what module? That sounds like you need an expensive tool, because the dealer sure as heck won't do it.
Old November 18th, 2018, 2:57 PM
Super Moderator

every module on a network has the vin programmed into. I've added options my class 2 vehicle didn't have when I worked for gm....keyless entry, content theft, cruise control...the wiring was there...plugged in junkyard modules and updated the programming. CAN bus systems you will not be able to do this.
Old November 18th, 2018, 4:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well doesn't that require a $500 tool and the know-how to use it? You and I might be able to figure it out, but I don't think it's Harry vehicle owner territory.
And then there's the matter of finding a cluster that will fit physically.
Old November 18th, 2018, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator

somethings are plug and play, some require programming. getting pointless...much like the trans fluid post we did last month. if you have a specific build you want to debate; start a dedicated thread and I will respond.