Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2018, 4:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Twscarp
what didn't work on our vans, the Torque app, or the trans temp?
Trans temp. I think you're the first one to actually show it working. I'd like to determine if it comes down to the app, the adapter, or the vehicle.

I don't know the protocol, or what that means.
The "language" that the vehicle system speaks. VPW is the old language, and CAN is the new one. Mine is definitely CAN. Yours (2008) is on the cusp.
Old November 14th, 2018, 6:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Trans temp. I think you're the first one to actually show it working. I'd like to determine if it comes down to the app, the adapter, or the vehicle.
Hi, I think I have VPW.

I can’t remember exactly how I got the Trans Temp, but here is the gist of it. Go into Torque Pro app (pretty sure it was in Torque Pro, might be available in Torque also). Go into settings and choose “manage extra PIDS/Sensors”. Then from the three-dot menu, select “add predefined set”. In the resulting list, choose”Pontiac/GM/Opel/Vauxhall”. Then look for Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 1), and Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 2), try each one. I thought StanVan and Teammuir1 had it too.
Old November 14th, 2018, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks I will try that out.
Old November 20th, 2018, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator

I tried to monitor the ATF temp on my 2013 with my Scangauge II the other day. I entered the Xgauge per the instructions (https://www.scangauge.com/xgauge/gm-...e-exc-allison/). I tried putting '00' and '01' at the end of the TXF and it didn't work. You would think that if it works on an older vehicle, like my 2000 Astro which has the same 4L60E transmission, that it would work on a more modern vehicle. That's too bad.

Did anybody else try with their 2009 or newer vehicle?
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I tried to monitor the ATF temp on my 2013 with my Scangauge II the other day. I entered the Xgauge per the instructions (https://www.scangauge.com/xgauge/gm-...e-exc-allison/). I tried putting '00' and '01' at the end of the TXF and it didn't work. You would think that if it works on an older vehicle, like my 2000 Astro which has the same 4L60E transmission, that it would work on a more modern vehicle. That's too bad.

Did anybody else try with their 2009 or newer vehicle?
Email the tech support guys at Scangauge, they are pretty good about getting back with you and helped me on a similar issue. In my case I needed to update the scangauge unit to the most recent software/firmware version.

Old November 21st, 2018, 2:04 PM
Super Moderator

I emailed them and they told me to try the xgauge code for allison transmissions.

EDIT: The Allison code didn't work either. Waiting for further feedback from LL.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 26th, 2018 at 1:35 PM.
Old December 7th, 2018, 10:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, I think I have VPW.

I can’t remember exactly how I got the Trans Temp, but here is the gist of it. Go into Torque Pro app (pretty sure it was in Torque Pro, might be available in Torque also). Go into settings and choose “manage extra PIDS/Sensors”. Then from the three-dot menu, select “add predefined set”. In the resulting list, choose”Pontiac/GM/Opel/Vauxhall”. Then look for Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 1), and Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 2), try each one. I thought StanVan and Teammuir1 had it too.
Found the choices in the, "pids" section. They had three options. The first one got a response, but the gauge didn't materialize on the dashboard. Any clues how to make this happen?
Thanks
Ron
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In Torque, you have to chose the type of gauge you want by adding a gauge.
Old December 8th, 2018, 10:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
In Torque, you have to chose the type of gauge you want by adding a gauge.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. It would be nice if these, "apps" would include an operating manual. This is not a simple device where the workings are intuitive.
Old December 8th, 2018, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try here;

https://torque-bhp.com/

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler