Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2018, 8:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Joe for the explanation. I have a blue Driver scanner, I don't know if it will read tranny temps. This is more of a homeowner device, but it does read, "live" data in some areas like long and short term trim.
I can always cut into the return line to install a, "T".
Old November 12th, 2018, 8:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scan-Gauge II might be able to do it, you will likely have to find the "X-guage" code and program it in...I had to do that on my old FMC motorhome that I swapped a duramax/allison in..
Old November 12th, 2018, 3:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Unfortunately, only emissions data (OBD Mode 1) has been legislated to be live to owners. Everything else has to be, sort of, hacked.

It doesn't look like Blue Driver has any expansion or programming features so I think you're out of luck with that.
Originally Posted by Ron6519
This is more of a homeowner device.
But their website advertises it as "Professional Scan Tool" in big letters!

I can always cut into the return line to install a, "T".
Then you're just measuring your cooled down fluid. It doesn't really tell your what's going on inside the transmission, so not very helpful.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. The additional cooler will make a big difference. Unless you're fighting forest fires, your transmission will be very happy.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 12th, 2018 at 3:34 PM.
Old November 13th, 2018, 9:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a dedicated sender then drop the pan (good time for new filter) drill a hole and use a bulkhead fitting https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-2263...seY:rk:19:pf:0 , you may want to consider adding a pan with a drain at the same time...Dorman makes a deep pan with drain for the 700r4/4l60e for less than $50
Old November 14th, 2018, 8:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LCAC_Man
If you want a dedicated sender then drop the pan (good time for new filter) drill a hole and use a bulkhead fitting https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-2263...seY:rk:19:pf:0 , you may want to consider adding a pan with a drain at the same time...Dorman makes a deep pan with drain for the 700r4/4l60e for less than $50
This is a, "new", remanufactured transmission, ordered with a drain. I need to decide if I want to go through the effort of adding it through the pan. Though it seems to be the most accurate way to get the reading.
Old November 14th, 2018, 1:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a blue Driver scanner, I don't know if it will read tranny temps.
Hi, the Blue Driver will probably read the trans temp, I'm assuming it's simply a pirated Chinese clone of ELM IC Canada, like 99.9% of the scanners are.
Old November 14th, 2018, 1:31 PM
Super Moderator

The reviews on Amazon suggest that it doesn't.
Old November 14th, 2018, 2:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
The reviews on Amazon suggest that it doesn't.
Well, then he could get a cheapy ELM Scanner on eBay, or get the one I prefer https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-Blue.../302475561957? Get the Torque Pro app ($5), and an inexpensive tablet, and have a nice display.

Old November 14th, 2018, 3:04 PM
Super Moderator

Ah ok. This is the first I've heard of it working on our vans. It didn't work on my 2013. Did you just use the gauge included in the app? Do you know if your van uses VPW or CAN protocol? It seems that 2008 was a transition year.
Old November 14th, 2018, 3:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Ah ok. This is the first I've heard of it working on our vans. It didn't work on my 2013. Did you just use the gauge included in the app? Do you know if your van uses VPW or CAN protocol? It seems that 2008 was a transition year.
Hi, what didn't work on our vans, the Torque app, or the trans temp? Yes, the gauge is from Torque Pro. I don't know the protocol, or what that means.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler