Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 AWD just went boom

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2018, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 AWD just went boom

My 04 awd express just popped something hard in the driveline. I thought it may be the chain in the transfer case but upon getting it home and jacked up I can turn the front wheels and the rear drive shaft moves. So tonight I will drop the transfer case and see if I didn't just snap the output shaft. Trans has just over 30K on it. Not a happy camper, I needed the truck for a BIG job tomorrow. Anyone know if the input of the transfer case is directly attached to the output of the rear driveshaft?
Old May 11th, 2018, 2:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

No. Power goes through a planetary gear.
Old May 12th, 2018, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

The input shaft moved out of the planetary then. It pushed the seal out and puked the oil into the coupler. That was the pop I heard and that is why the truck had nothing connecting the trans to the wheels. Rebuilt transfer case ordered. With 200000 miles on this one it doesn’t owe me much.
Old May 12th, 2018, 1:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

What does the id plate say? BW4473?

Can I ask how the failure happened?
Old May 13th, 2018, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
What does the id plate say? BW4473?

Can I ask how the failure happened?
Don't have any idea. I was just pulling out of our local post office and upon accelerating it popped (sounded like a gun shot) then there was no connection from the trans to the drivetrain. There has to be some sort of snap ring inside that failed. The truck just turned 200k. I did service the transfer case at about 165k when I replaced the trans. It pushed the input oil seal out of the housing.
I have ordered a rebuilt transfer case, hopefully get it this week and get this thing back on the road.