Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Updating 2006 to 2008 Steering wheel

Old July 6th, 2018, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating 2006 to 2008 Steering wheel

Recently purchased a 2006 Express 3500. Been sorting things out. Like adding a Ford Taurus cooling fan so it cools really well sitting still.
The Ridetech shocks like StanVan recommended, things like that.
So I decided I wanted to upgrade sound system and add backup camera. Has anyone had any experience with installing a 2008 steering wheel and maybe computer. I want to have audio controls on steering wheel for head unit. My work van is a loaded Town n Country so it spoiled me.
Just wondering if it would work or would there be way more involved.
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ron (Teammuir1) did one. He should chime in soon, but he said this is a busy time of year for him, so it may take a day or so.
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome
Old July 9th, 2018, 10:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

03-06 Suburban steering wheel plus Chevy Impala clockspring p/n 26092622 (100% fit).
Attached Thumbnails Updating 2006 to 2008 Steering wheel-2017-02-19-16.45.05.jpg  
Old July 9th, 2018, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Artie1
03-06 Suburban steering wheel plus Chevy Impala clockspring p/n 26092622 (100% fit).
I didn’t think about using the same year from another vehicle like that. So everything is plug and play? And the buttons on the bottom you just disregard those because they do nothing at that point right?

what is the impala inner clock spring?
Old July 9th, 2018, 11:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A 2007+ van steering wheel physically fits on the steering shaft just fine, but you'll need to buy a new air bag.

The Impala clockspring is needed for the radio buttons , they're a "resistance ladder" type. The clockspring in your van only has 2 wires for the air bag.
Yes the four bottom buttons are not used, however they're connected to the clockspring so I could wire them to control something else if I needed to.
If I did this again, I'd jump for an Escalade wood and leather steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Trailrez1 (May 17th, 2020)
Old July 9th, 2018, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Artie1
A 2007+ van steering wheel physically fits on the steering shaft just fine, but you'll need to buy a new air bag.

The Impala clockspring is needed for the radio buttons , they're a "resistance ladder" type. The clockspring in your van only has 2 wires for the air bag.
Yes the four bottom buttons are not used, however they're connected to the clockspring so I could wire them to control something else if I needed to.
If I did this again, I'd jump for an Escalade wood and leather steering wheel.

Great info. See this is why I came here and asked first. No need in reinventing the wheel when someone else is already figured it out.
yeah I can find something to do with those bottom buttons make my life easier.
maybe control light bar, maybe some additional interior lights, something…
Old July 16th, 2018, 6:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there... if you have not taking the time you can follow along and read my thread it has alot of great things to
do to your van...
as far as the steering wheel goes.. I would not expect someone else to go to the lengths that I did for the
type of wheel I have... but to know its possible..I even used the shifter as well. IT IS... and I too have buttons they are for Radio use only....
which I have not even attempted to hook up yet I have been very busy..... but if you want to
look threw my thread.. ( BEST UPGRADED DONE )

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...-85622/page39/

Last edited by Teammuir1; July 16th, 2018 at 6:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 16th, 2018, 7:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Photogdave....... I am curious to know more about this FORD TAURUS electric fan Idea you talked about....
grant you I am not one for putting a FORD part on a great General Motors Vehicle..... ( LOL )
but I have seen stranger things.....
is this something you have done in the past ?
Old July 16th, 2018, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Teammuir1

Hey there... if you have not taking the time you can follow along and read my thread it has alot of great things to
do to your van...
as far as the steering wheel goes.. I would not expect someone else to go to the lengths that I did for the
type of wheel I have... but to know its possible..I even used the shifter as well. IT IS... and I too have buttons they are for Radio use only....
which I have not even attempted to hook up yet I have been very busy..... but if you want to
look threw my thread.. ( BEST UPGRADED DONE )

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...-85622/page39/
Whoa!!!

Search this Thread