Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Updating 2006 to 2008 Steering wheel

Old July 16th, 2018, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
Photogdave....... I am curious to know more about this FORD TAURUS electric fan Idea you talked about....
grant you I am not one for putting a FORD part on a great General Motors Vehicle..... ( LOL )
but I have seen stranger things.....
is this something you have done in the past ?
So being a long time off roader and hot rodder. The 3.8L(NOT 3.0) Taurus/Sable fans are widely known for moving more air than even the very high performance SPAL fans.
if you have small children or let’s dont let them walk in front of your van it will suck them up.
Ford had those stupid little grills with very little opening. So they had to design a fan that would overcome that.

Mu van will freeze you out of it this July 2018 heat in Alabama so long as you’re moving 25mph it more. But sitting still it just won’t do the trick.
I believe the clutch is tired although it won’t overheat and I hear it lock in after it idles a while.
But it’s just not enough air moving.
My daughter and I race Enduros and it sits most of the time in an empty cow pasture. At last race, I had a huge homemade floor fan made from a home AC unit that would blow a tent over. I put t in front of my van to see and it cooled so much better.
So I know that cooling fan would really do the trick.
A sucker fan always works better than a pusher fan(the floor fan)
Old July 17th, 2018, 6:30 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats interesting.. it would seem that the fan would work off of a relay.. instead of having all that current draw straight
to the fan... do you have a diagram of the wiring?
when you speak of Clutch... are you refering to the Clutch on the AC unit or the Clutch Fan on the front of the motor ?
Old July 17th, 2018, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Thats interesting.. it would seem that the fan would work off of a relay.. instead of having all that current draw straight
to the fan... do you have a diagram of the wiring?
when you speak of Clutch... are you refering to the Clutch on the AC unit or the Clutch Fan on the front of the motor ?
on the relay you are correct. And it actually uses a 70 amp relay. It’s a big boy calls on start up it has a 70 amp draw, then it drops a little bit of course.
I don’t have the wiring diagram. There are several ways it can be done. Most people go to pull a part. Just grab the fan, and the wiring going all the way through the relays. Then you could either do a fan controller for temperature. Or in our case we can just pin in one wire to the ECM. Then program the ECM to turn the fan off and on at any temp you choose.

When I was speaking of the clutch I was referring to the fan clutch.
I think they get a little bit tired and you start to notice it more at idol then you do anything. If I let the van idol until the temperature gets over the midpoint when I take off from a red light you can hear the fan really really roaring.
But even when it’s in full lock, at idle it’s just not moving near as much air as an electric fan would.
I think also over the course of 12 years there’s probably some bug build up in the condenser fins
i’ll make sure I clean that out really well while I’m doing this.
But man is soon as I get around 20 mph even just coasting, the wife and kids are begging me to turn the air down LOL.
Im like nope, go pound sand. It’s 100° outside, enjoy!!!
Old July 17th, 2018, 6:39 PM
CF Pro Member

I assumed you were talking about the clutch fan.. thats why I wanted you to clarify...
I also have a GMC Sierra truck.. ...
and I have many upgraded I am doing to it ... and I have a clutch fan I am going to install
on it as well do to over heating while sitting still... I am waiting on a special pulley holder tool
to help in the replacement of the clutch fan.. maybe you have seen this little guy...
any ways.. I will be working on both my van and truck this coming weekend...
thanks for your info on the fan ...
I would like to install one on both my van and pick up... might have to look
into going to the junk yard.. are there any particular years to look for ?
Old July 17th, 2018, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah I’d say from 1998-2006 maybe
could be later
it’s a two speed fan. It’ll cool just fine on low. But it’s designed to go to high with ac too.
really just know what it looks like
Old July 17th, 2018, 7:04 PM
CF Pro Member

hey thats a good looking unit.... I would say.. it might be held onto the radiator with the
oil cooler ties ? unless its too heavy... ( whats your idea of mounting ) ?
and did you say it was a pusher or puller ?
are you talking about removing the Clutch Fan all together ?
Old July 17th, 2018, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

hey thats a good looking unit.... I would say.. it might be held onto the radiator with the
oil cooler ties ? unless its too heavy... ( whats your idea of mounting ) ?
and did you say it was a pusher or puller ?
are you talking about removing the Clutch Fan all together ?
Yes it’s a puller fan. I wouldn’t even try a pusher.

Yes remove the clutch fan all together. Frees up some power. Frees up some room.
its a few inches shy on side and top of a perfect fit. Either some small fan work needed or other ideas. I guess it doesn’t have to cover entire radiator perfectly. So you could probably just use the old ties through radiator.
Lots of fans do not cover whole radiator.
But my OCD will have me wondering if it could be cooling better and drive me to make it a real nice shroud setup.
My current half baked thought, not idea is to take off factory shroud. Then outdoes unit in from behind kind of lay it in there so that the fan opening on ford unit just sits inside the opening of the Chevy unit.
sort of a funnel inside a funnel deal until I zing the Chevy shroud mounting and edges to cover radiator.

Search this Thread