Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Upgrading, good move or bad move??? 2500 -> 3500?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2015, 7:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Upgrading, good move or bad move??? 2500 -> 3500?

Hi, I'm hoping you will chime in here. I've written lots in other threads, so I will skip the historical part on purchasing the current van.

- I lose $2000CDN on Trade after driving 8000Km over 4 months.
- In the end I pay $5000CDN plus taxes to Trade up to a brand new, yet older model.

Everything below is exactly the same, except what's listed:

2015 GMC Savana 2500
- 4.8L
- White
- Sliding Door
- New Style Side Cut Keys (much nicer)
- LED Cargo Lights (doesn't matter)

2014 GMC Savana 3500
- 6.0L flex Fuel
- Black
- Barn Doors on BOTH sides (opening Windows all doors)
- Factory Back up Camera
- Keyless Entry
- Keyless Start
- Composite Headlights
- Chrome Bumpers
- Compass / Thermostat on DIC
- Factory Trailering Package

I want to know what your thoughts are. I drive in a hilly area, the DIC states an average of 30km/hr and I do many short trips. The 6.0L scares me! It's actually why I completely disregarded this van when I was looking. But I do wonder, will the fuel be that much more? Even the 4.8L is a pig compared to everything else on the road. I currently average 19.7L/100Km or 12mpg. What do you estimate with the 6.0L???

The 3500 gives a better ride and the ability to tow haul more. At the end of the day, I may never use it to it's full potential. I mainly carry lots of tools, and to a lesser extent a small amount of supplies that can get slightly weighty but nothing requiring a 3500. I am under the impression that I won't really notice higher fuel costs if I pack more into the 6.0L van than what's in there now. The motor shouldn't really feel the weight, is that true?

Composite headlights are nice, but they make the van look bloated to me so I really don't care.

The Black is good and bad. I like to blend in, I can't do that anymore, yet on the other hand, I won't look like a working guy. It's a harder to clean and needs to be cleaned more often, also.. it absorbs heat from the sun which was very apparent today. In the winter this is good.

The doors on either side... this is what I originally wanted. Since I am ready to start building shelves... I had to go look at this van. Even the sales guy really likes my idea and honestly since I can't stand up inside this is what I want. I'll build storage shelves for tools right into the door thresholds. No wasted cargo space for aisles, walkways, etc. No need to even enter the cargo hold. In the end I'll have a passage maybe 24" wide down the center to carry sheets standing on edge. As long as I can carry ten sheets I am good. The entire back may stay unshelved for the entire width like a normal van, giving 4.5feet lengthwise of cargo space. This is the REAL reason for trading in.

I am not big on glass windows, but I can live with it.

Keyless Entry, Remote Start, Compass, Temperature, are things I wanted on my 2015. The factory back up camera is a good feature to have, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

My biggest concern over another $5000 is fuel consumption. I have two positive thoughts on this.. one, loaded down each van may be nearly the same. And two, it has to give me more oommph when I need it. I have good thoughts on the 4.8L, but I hear over time it gets loud and gutless.

So what are your thoughts? Remember my biggest concern is even higher fuel consumption. I could probably live with losing 50Km per tank, but after that... I may regret it.

PS. The bonus is that I get to take off my additions, and swap my current cloth seats for the vinyl ones. The dealership doesn't really care.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 18th, 2015 at 3:50 PM.
Old May 17th, 2015, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I've have/had a 4.8L p/u and 6.0L p/u. On the 100% highway not loaded for both vehicles
4.8 - 25mpg imperial gallon... city 16mpg
6.0- 19mpg imperial gallon....city can't remember

my 4.8 is a slug. the 6.0 was awesome with the 4.11 rear end. great to tow with.

What trans did your 4.8 have?
Old May 17th, 2015, 8:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Hi, thanks...

That difference in numbers turns my stomach.

2015 GMC Savana 4.8L 2500 - (My driving, my loads, 19.7L/100Km or 12mpg)

MYD - Automatic 6 Speed, 6L90
GU6 - 3.42 Ratio
G80 - Limited Slip

2014 GMC Savana 6.0L 3500 - (My driving, my loads, ??.?L/100Km or ??mpg)

MYD - Automatic 6 Speed, 6L90
GU6 - 3.42 Ratio
G80 - Limited Slip

My fuel economy is better than the US Dept. of Energy lists by 1 MPG. Therefor I deem them accurate with a 1 MPG safe guard. If what they say is true about the 6.0L, it should get at best 11 MPG and at worst 10 MPG. That's an extra $50 to $100 per month minimum without gas increasing at the pump. Luckily for me, we all know that's not going to happen!

Arggh.... I'm over thinking things... and there's 150 views and only one comment. The dealer lists it at 19.9L/100km or 12mpg which is the same as my 4.8L gets. Could be true? Anyone? Anywhere? I'm looking for a friendly push that won't be wrong. I just don't want to regret losing even more money at the pump.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 18th, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old May 18th, 2015, 1:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You lost me at White. Get rid of the white van, and get the black one. Very unlikely that you will have any paint issue with the black one down the road. As for economy, there is not a huge diff in 13 to 16 mpg....The 6 litre will work lass harder than the 4.8 so it might not be as bad as you think.
I have a 2002 2500 vortec 350 and the 3.73 gears and I get 13mpg.
I like the options better as well. And the LED lights do matter as don't they cost a fortune to repair of they go?
Black might not be as easy to keep clean and scratch free, but will sure look nice with some matching chrome mags....
Old May 18th, 2015, 2:48 AM
CF Pro Member

LOL

You think like I do.... I already have the mags in mind, I just need another $1000 to pay for them.

Yeah, I've already convinced myself, even the salesman and manager know it. It just gets stronger as time goes on. I think the Colorado is going.... Someone is looking at it in the morning and if he doesn't commit to buying it, off to the dealership for appraisal it goes.

I'm just scared of the gas... I envision $2/L at some point, but I'm thinking like you... it won't break a sweat where the 4.8L does. I have to say thank you, the reality is I am asking you all to beat me with the stupid stick, it's the whole point of this thread. Just push me in the right direction.

Thanks again for your post.

PS. the Dealership really doesn't seem to care if I swap simple options around. The seats, my additions, that kind of thing (I'm actually going to sell some of them). Believe it or not, the white van has the upgraded engine cover and the black van does not. I'll be in a rush to swap what I need to swap, is it simple to swap these? I have to look into that. Also, one more thing which you may disagree with, I actually prefer black bumpers... the chrome is nice and all, but in my opinion it doesn't last and they are not repairable. Would I be crazy to swap them out? I can't see it taking too long, but... perhaps the dealer would comment on that one? I don't know. Blacked out would look kind of cool.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 18th, 2015 at 3:06 AM.
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

some of my mileage difference is due to weight. the 4.8 was a 5300lb 1500 series and the 6.0 was a 6000lb 2500hd. My mpg were with no added towing loads. The 4.8 can hardly go up hills, let alone tow something. I'd prefer a 6L. if the darn 4.8 ever dies (darn thing just keeps going...355 000km). its replacement will be either a 5.3 or 6.0l

Last edited by tech2; May 18th, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Keep telling me what I want to hear.

355,000 on that 4.8L? Mind you, your 1500 has to be lighter than a Savana.

The dealership can't open fast enough... in the back of my mind I am thinking they are reading this thread and laughing. I couldn't sleep last night, and then just after 6am this morning a "private" number phoned, I didn't make it to the phone but I am washed out today.

* Must remember to get them to fill that truck. Both of mine are full. Straight trade, both trucks for the 3500 and it's a done deal. That's my current plan. Or maybe a straight trade and they give me some accessories? The colorado is in excellent mechanical shape, but it has cosmetic issues.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 18th, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old May 18th, 2015, 3:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Ok... that's not happening, well the trade of the Colorado anyways. We can't agree on the numbers. Banks are closed for finalizing transactions, pre-approved and all ready to go. If nothing unforeseen happens I'll have the van tomorrow night. I'm just disappointed about the trade in, I don't like the idea of dealing with a private sale. I know I can do better, just...

Time to work on the ad.
Old May 18th, 2015, 5:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will love the 6.0 Its an amazing motor. Driving will be effortless.
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Ok everyone. I confess. I can be a total idiot if you haven't read into that so far. Lets forget the fact I am financing what I am assuming to be the van with the worst gas mileage and perhaps resale value... it's a work expense, but many of you are smarter than I. Sometimes I wish I just stuck with my $10 to 15K plan. We all have them in my boat right? Anyways it's too late, I bought the 2015 Savana... but this is where I get to double down.. Instead of getting out of the platform, I am doubling down on it. I really like it. I like it better than the rest of the vans. It's the fuel down the road that scares me.

Ok... so that's confessing to be an idiot for starters. Now the real reason I am posting this is because... well... I grew up with Metric and I think it's great in theory... but in practice? In my world? There's no place for it unless you are talking temperature because I don't understand that whole "F" concept. This is taking a long time...

4.8L

6.0L

I am a complete idiot because I took the 4 and the 6 and for some reason I expected a large gap in engine size. A 4.8L is what? A 290ci or so? And the 6.0L... not the 427++ci I was thinking... yes I really was... it something like a 364ci. That's barely bigger than a 350!! I am such an idiot!

If I wasn't so stressed and confused with which path to take, beater van, modest used van, brand new van, make, model, size, options and if.... doing any of this was actually a good thing I may have been able to determine that a 6.0L was not as big as it sounds. I feel so stupid. I might have actually have bought the van I am looking at in the beginning.

A friend put the damper on the deal for me and I had to go through all the numbers again. From what I can tell, I am paying 5K which includes the tax. Sticker for Sticker this van is... 7K more. I'd like to try haggling but I don't know... it seems like a fair deal. Well, if you don't consider the year they are built for that is. That's my friends point, this black van is almost two years old considering 2016's will be appearing relatively soon. It's excessive devaluation that I will deal with long term, but should I care? Mileage dictates potential, not parking. Age only matters financially if I need to dump it... but that's his whole point.

I just thought I'd share the experience for all of you "pushers".

Last edited by dberladyn; May 18th, 2015 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading, good move or bad move??? 2500 -> 3500?