Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van from HELL Pat II

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2017, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van from HELL Pat II

07 GMC Savanna.

This van has had a lot done to it lately only to succumb to electrical gremlins. Bad part is the owners sent it to another shop that couldnt fix it and then suddenly we have to make it go.

Two big problems-

1. Machine gun starter. Just goes click click. NO ITS NOT a bad solenoid. Ground out the starter relay and the starter spins very nicely. Because of that I added a push button switch to start the van and that works OK, but of course I would rather it worked like it should.

2. Reduced Engine Power. When that big yellow light comes on there is no throttle on the fly by wire system. Connections and codes have been checked and re-checked. Typically it comes and goes and never comes on past three restarts. Well until today! My research showed the connector to the throttle body is a typical culprit. All wires were good, but I replaced the connector anyway. No change. Boos got a new control box. No change. We purchased a new PCM and had it programmed by the dealer. Other strange things happened, but no change on the Reduced Power problem. Right after buying a new pedal for giggles, the owner said stop. Hes just going to buy another van and sell this one.

Since grounds play such an important role on computer controlled vehicles, I started looking at them, but everything tested good.

I was hoping for a possible hint from my nearby shop owner that does auto electric work and his commentary was anything with a weird electrical problem always seemed to be GM.

Yeah, theres a lot more to add, but I dont feel like typing my memoirs right now. Anyone have any other insight into these problems?

-Pete
Old February 10th, 2017, 5:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad ignitions switch on the first one? Was there not a recall?

What were the codes for the second issue?
Old February 14th, 2017, 12:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reduced Engine Power usually happens when there's a mismatch between the APP (gas pedal) sensors or Throttle position sensors. If you had a Tech 2 scanner, it readily shows that info, and diagnosis is very easy. I had this problem, and it was 1 loose pin within the throttle body connector. I bent it and all good now. Your situation is probably different.