Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van liner or insulation recommendations for Savana

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2015, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van liner or insulation recommendations for Savana

I just got a 2014 GMC Savana which I use to haul reptiles, and they don't like extreme heat or cold. I am interested in insulating the back. Can anyone recommend a good van liner? I am looking for liner recommendations even if they are not insulated for heat. Also could I run some thin insulation, like 5mm prodex behind a plastic liner or are they so tight that they don't have 1/8 inch of give behind them?
Thanks!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For all the posts I made and all the time and money I spent I am mad at myself. I almost did what I should have and then I changed course. If I was to do it again, I would have the entire interior of the van sprayed with LineX. The box liner rubber for pick up beds. Then I would either just shove roxul against that or spray foam.

the LineX would stiffen the body while waterproofing it. Expensive yes, Long lasting yes. I don't even know how it happened, but I have minor dents in my body pushing out. I have plastic panels lining the inside so it happened either while insulating or on the short periods I had the plastic liners removed.

The Alternative is simply a professional spray foam job which many here do not like. Roxul, which can sweat against the body and rust it. Or you can do something like I did. I took a closed cell rubber insulation and I glued it right to the body panels. After that, I placed Roxul. Insulation wise it's great! Does it protect against sweating? I don't know, I did place a sealed tightly glued vapour barrier sucked right up tight to the Roxul.

I had lots of time when I did it and I didn't. It's done now, I have to keep moving forward. If it rust in 15 years it rusts. I don't know.