Welded nut for gas tank strap... naturally it broke loose. Solution? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Welded nut for gas tank strap... naturally it broke loose. Solution?

CF Active Member

SWVA

May 17th, 2017, 2:56 PM   #1  
Welded nut for gas tank strap... naturally it broke loose. Solution?

Hello again. Another curse-laden adventure with this thing.

Need to replace fuel pump sender... so new pump while I'm at it.

Problem: The rear captive / welded nut for the rear fuel tank strap (inside frame crossmember) broke loose and now spins merrily around with maybe 1/8" or so of thread left (based on comparison to front bolt).

I have the tool bins & rubber mat flooring... which is secured on both sides BENEATH the tool bins.

I'm thinking to drill pilot holes from beneath & then use a hole saw to open up above that loose weld nut. Anyone know a better way to do this before I put a hole-saw on the drill and imagine Mr. Goodwrench's skull underneath as I open up the floor?

(I am not going to remove the tool bins just to flip the rubber back... but I also don't want to destroy the matting as it's crucial for sliding materials in & out without damage. If I didn't have the rubber matting I would have just cut a hole in the floorboard & replaced the pump that way.)

CF Addict

May 17th, 2017, 4:36 PM   #2  
Can you stick a flat blade screw driver on one side to hold it while you unscrew it?

CF Active Member

SWVA

May 18th, 2017, 4:45 AM   #3  
Posted By: kevinkpk Can you stick a flat blade screw driver on one side to hold it while you unscrew it?
Good idea and actually tried that but not enough room for leverage against the small amount of nut visible.

It wasn't actually a welded nut but one of those stupid 'clip on' 'blind-nuts'... a nut with a sheet metal clip that lets you slip it into a blind hole and the clip holds it in place for assembly when you can't get a wrench to the back side. It was made to speed things up on the assembly line... but not being strong enough for disassembly was the problem.

I ended up taking a reciprocal saw & just cutting the bolt off. I got very, very, VERY lucky to have a similar clip-on nut from an old Ford I had in the 90's (yeah - I have buckets of crap...) Not the same design but also had a bolt with matching threads that was long enough. After that - it was pretty much like any other job where you needed a lift but have to make do in the driveway. Didn't totally disconnect the tank - just dropped the back end down to the ground & supported the front so that there was still slack in any hoses etc.

I'm sure the neighbor kids learned a whole new set of adjectives for school tomorrow...

Thanks for the response.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send