Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What did you do with your van today?

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 2:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts
Default What did you do with your van today?

-- I changed my oil + filter at 70,000km (43,000mi). It's amazing how tiny these filters are. I've seen bigger filters on smaller engines in the past.
I don't like how they've molded the oil pan around the filter (5.3L) with less than a 1/2" of clearance around it, preventing you from getting hand around it properly. You only have access to about half the filter. I still managed to get the new one with my bare hands but it's annoying.

I picked up one of these oil filter pliers to help remove the old one. The pan gets in the way so it doesn't seat perfectly, but it still works great.

-- I pumped some new grease into the ball joints.

-- I also checked the level of all the lubricants in the drivetrain, and took samples of each.

Front & rear axles: Rear is starting to darken. Front still looks pretty good.

( to extract oil from the rear axle, I stuck a disposable pipette into the fill hole )

(left to right) Fresh ATF, transmission, transfer case : doesn't smell burnt, but there is a sharp odour that I don't detect in the fresh stuff.
Normal service interval is 156,000km, severe interval is 72,000km.

( to sample the ATF, I fed a 1/4" ID nylon tube down through the dipstick tube )

Light is still able to pass through the transfer case oil. That makes sense since there aren't any clutches.

The oil from the tranmission is pretty opaque though. There are very, very fine particles suspended in it. Probably friction material from the clutch rings. I should probably replace the fluid soon.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 19th, 2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:39 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like my rear passenger side shock absorber has been spraying its insides everywhere. Strange that I don't feel any bouncing. Guess I'll have to replace these next.

Old June 8th, 2019, 8:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My truck doesn't look that grungy underneath yet (dirt and rust).

My bolts arrived for the battery trays, so now it is selecting the batteries and buying them, which I actually have the money for. I think I am going to wait until I am paid from the next job though. If I pick up and do within the next week, I will buy my batteries. Last night, just parked along side the road playing with my phone, I almost ran the truck battery dry. I almost could not start it. It took about five tries. Shut everything off, unplug anything that drains power, let the battery sit and regain some strength and hope it fires in the first few cranks. It just fired before the battery died. People don't really carry jumper, I don't even, and no really wants to help anyone with these problems which I don't really blame them for.

In putting to auxiliary batteries in, I was wondering if I shouldn't isolate the starter battery completely so it ONLY starts the truck and charges. Not even running factory accessories. I don't know, I'll figure that out down the road here.
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:05 PM
Super Moderator

I just took it camping to Jones lake and the road was muddy.

Sounds like you need a new starter battery. Definitely get yourself some booster cables. (some good heavy gauge ones). Yes you should isolate your starting battery. You can add it later though.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; June 8th, 2019 at 2:07 PM.
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got to test out the alternate/slippery surface D mode due to some moderate rain and oily surface streets.
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:35 PM
Super Moderator

what is "alternate/slippery surface D mode"?
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:41 PM
CF Active Member

Found info on the two drive modes for the 3rd Gen 4l60e. Part of the owners manual I never got my hands on. Had the tape for the 4th Gen Camaro, left it in the glove box for the next owner.
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:50 PM
Super Moderator

Oh you must mean 2nd gear start.
Old June 8th, 2019, 2:53 PM
CF Active Member

Normal drive mode is with overdrive for my generation. Yes the second drive mode with no circle around it is also for towing and mountain terrain. There is no switch for me, just a different gear to select. P-R-N-D(w/overdrive)-D(without)-2-1

Last edited by Beau Oszman; June 8th, 2019 at 2:56 PM.
Old June 8th, 2019, 3:01 PM
Super Moderator

Right, no 4th gear. Later on they just label it "3". So what does it have to do with slippery surfaces?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your van today?