Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

What are some items I can power with a battery isolator?

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2018, 9:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not so sure he meant inverter. I went and looked, and there are several 12 volt heaters, in either 200 or 300 watts.

I had a 150 watt inverter once that fried when I plugged in a laptop charger. It couldn't have been much more than 150 watts, but it didn't stutter on and off, it just fried. The secret smoke just escaped. And if this guy has a 200 watt inverter, and plugged in a 1500 watt heater, I think the same thing would happen.
Old November 20th, 2018, 11:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I can forgive my truck for not having the factory 150W GM Inverter. I have a 300W that plugs into the power socket temporarily. I planned on installing a 4000W or so for power tools.

Anyways, there are a lot of options for electric heat if you know where to look.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...t=12v+car+heat
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also planning on installing a inverter, with al the supporting mods. At least 500w to support laptops and Playstation

in the other hand i dont see any feedback from the OP. I think he posted and left LOL
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't a Playstation already low voltage? It's easy (and power efficient) to just convert 12 volts to whatever the Playstation is. This doesn't work for most laptops, as they're usually a bit more than 12 volts.

A side note; limit Playstation use to trips. I made this mistake and when my kids got to driving age, they didn't know how to get around the town they grew up in. We don't need to raise a generation of GPS dependent people.
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanVan
Isn't a Playstation already low voltage? It's easy (and power efficient) to just convert 12 volts to whatever the Playstation is. This doesn't work for most laptops, as they're usually a bit more than 12 volts.

A side note; limit Playstation use to trips. I made this mistake and when my kids got to driving age, they didn't know how to get around the town they grew up in. We don't need to raise a generation of GPS dependent people.
Right, the VAN is only for long trips. And time on screen (for movies or PS) is measured.
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

By the time I came of age, driving that is, I could find my way around Seattle. I didn't grow up there, I just traveled with my dad so much. We put a lot miles on together. I knew my way around town and I was ahead of peers in that regard. Technology has made us dumb. The first thing I do now is reach for my phone and google maps instead of my memory and route planning inside of my own head.
Old November 21st, 2018, 1:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I'm trying to break that habit by trying to drive from memory, and only reach for the phone when I get stuck.
Old November 21st, 2018, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Anyways, there are a lot of options for electric heat if you know where to look.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...t=12v+car+heat
Looks like most of those plug into the cigarette lighter, which provides 60W at most. That might warm up the pinky on your toe.

Electric heaters are extremely power hungry and will gobble the juice in batteries right quick. They just are not practical for vehicle use.