Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Why do all large GM cars have wheel play?

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do all large GM cars have wheel play?

I have owned several GM cars during the past ten years and not one of them have been a joy to drive, mainly because all of them have had a few inches of wheel play. Ive had a 2001 Tahoe, a 93 Fleetwood, a 90 Custom Cruiser and now a 99 Express. I have tried to adjust the steering boxes with both available adjustments, doing like the manual have specified but only with marginal improvement. With the 93 Fleetwood we even ordered a new steering box from the states (I live in Sweden) but that did not improve anything. It goes without saying that I have replaced the other parts of the steering linkage that I could think of. And of course wheel-bearings has not had anything to do with this either since I can feel the play at stand still. I wonder what the heck is wrong with these boxes and why is it so difficult to get them descent. It ruins the driving experience always having to adjust and feeling that there is always an inch or two of play before your motion of turning the wheel meets with the rest of the steering to turn the car.