Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Won't start without disconnecting negative battery cable first. 2008 Express 3500 6.0

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2018, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start without disconnecting negative battery cable first. 2008 Express 3500 6.0

I've got a 2008 Express van. The other day it just would not start with the key. No noise, everything else works. Jumped it off, still no start, Jumped the starter solenoid and it started right away. I replaced the starter with a new (not reman) and it started every time. Then went to the store and it did it again, took and had the starter checked again, no problem found with the starter. Checked all of the wiring, as far as I could reach into the main harness, no problem found. After putting the starter back in, it started at least 50 times. Went to the grocery store and it did it again, Jumped off the starter went yo the auto parts store, got an ignition switch, (the one that mounts under the key switch) they told me that this switch goes bad often. After replacing the switch it started several times. The next morning all was great. Stopped for lunch and the started would not start again. Jumped the starter off again. After getting back home I disconnected the negative battery terminal and reconnected it ( in a matter of a few seconds) the van started and is still starting. I know it's only a matter of time before the starter acts up again. Any Ideas On What A Possible Problem May Be?
Old March 20th, 2018, 3:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

starter motor relay
Old March 20th, 2018, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a try now, Thanks