Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1987 Chevy Good Times Van

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2021, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Chevy Good Times Van

Just inherited my Dad's 1987 Good Times Van and he last drove it in 2015 and parked it with everything running. I had worked on it once before and found a bunch of the various seat motors had burned up. So when I went to collect it today, I took a new battery and everything inside is dead. Not even the horn will honk or headlights won't burn, nothing on instrument panel comes on with the key and I used a volt meter and there is a good 12V from the new off the shelf battery.

Trying to figure out exactly what I have here .... so is this a G20 van? What years does the 87 "group-into" that a service manual might cover? I found a service manual for G10, 20, 30 but it has no wiring schematics or diagrams to speak of, and certainly not to the level to start tracing this problem.

Where do I start getting this beast back up and running? Doesn't have that many miles on it and in relatively good shap (other than zero power LOL)

***** ALSO - something just popped up and I think I just subscribed to some kind of mailing list accidentally - how do I get off it if? THANKS!
Old March 31st, 2021, 6:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by DonFring
Just inherited my Dad's 1987 Good Times Van and he last drove it in 2015 and parked it with everything running. I had worked on it once before and found a bunch of the various seat motors had burned up. So when I went to collect it today, I took a new battery and everything inside is dead. Not even the horn will honk or headlights won't burn, nothing on instrument panel comes on with the key and I used a volt meter and there is a good 12V from the new off the shelf battery.

Trying to figure out exactly what I have here .... so is this a G20 van? What years does the 87 "group-into" that a service manual might cover? I found a service manual for G10, 20, 30 but it has no wiring schematics or diagrams to speak of, and certainly not to the level to start tracing this problem.

Where do I start getting this beast back up and running? Doesn't have that many miles on it and in relatively good shap (other than zero power LOL)

***** ALSO - something just popped up and I think I just subscribed to some kind of mailing list accidentally - how do I get off it if? THANKS!
Best thing I would suggest is follow the battery cable to where it lands, and go from there. Make sure you also have a good ground on the battery.