Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express, Savana & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-savana-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Best up grades done (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-savana-g-series-vans-30/best-up-grades-done-85622/)

Twscarp October 20th, 2017 4:04 PM

Originally Posted by Teammuir1 (Post 345928)
Twscarp

Do you own one ? either the real or knock off as you call them.. ?
Do you use it in the way that ARTIE1 does >? and the way I am wanting to use mine ?

No, I don't own one, but three days ago I sent an email to the Romanian company, asking if they could confirm the identity of their scanner, no reply yet. I would use it as you guys do.

StanVan October 20th, 2017 6:37 PM

Twscarp (for lack of your first name) Interesting that you use older engine sizes to refer to the ELM chip hierarchy. If you had done any research, you'd know their chip has gone from 320 to 329. But be that as it may, my supposition is based on having a bit of sales/purchasing experience, and am familiar with getting stuck with old stock, and doing a deal to get rid of it, at least from the buying end of it. To assume that anything but a 2.2 is a illegal clone is..... Let's put it this way. Do I have to dissect the word "assume"?

Look, I value your opinion. And I don't want to alienate you from this, or any other discussion here. And certainly if this is going to influence your decision on buying one of these, great. But please try not to look at this as black or white. There are shades of grey that we will never be aware of. Our best bet is to gather as much info as we can, and make a decision based on what we find, incomplete or not.

Everybody just chill out.

Twscarp October 20th, 2017 7:32 PM

Originally Posted by StanVan (Post 345940)
Twscarp (for lack of your first name) Interesting that you use older engine sizes to refer to the ELM chip hierarchy. If you had done any research, you'd know their chip has gone from 320 to 329. But be that as it may, my supposition is based on having a bit of sales/purchasing experience, and am familiar with getting stuck with old stock, and doing a deal to get rid of it, at least from the buying end of it. To assume that anything but a 2.2 is a illegal clone is..... Let's put it this way. Do I have to dissect the word "assume"?

Look, I value your opinion. And I don't want to alienate you from this, or any other discussion here. And certainly if this is going to influence your decision on buying one of these, great. But please try not to look at this as black or white. There are shades of grey that we will never be aware of. Our best bet is to gather as much info as we can, and make a decision based on what we find, incomplete or not.

Everybody just chill out.

You are right StanVan, got that wrong, I stand corrected. I believe all the versions above v1.4 are legitimate, the Chinese don’t have that code, or else they would be selling those too. Those versions v1.4 through v2.1, were probably sold they same way as v2.2 the current version, $15-$20 per IC, way above a complete $8 OBD2 scanner on eBay. I suppose you could buy a v2.0 or v2.1 if you specifically asked for one, but the current version is v2.2, from the only scanner (who claims genuine ELM) supplier I know of, the company in Romania. That was good info you replied to my post, but do you honestly think a version greater than v1.4 will surface on eBay for those prices?

StanVan October 20th, 2017 8:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not anytime soon, but one day, maybe. But I'd bet my 1.4 is legit as well, considering it's age. And who knows what kind of old new stock is still out there.

I now feel it is time for a "feel good moment", in the form of a random picture of my dog.

Teammuir1 October 21st, 2017 2:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL
thats too cute.. great Therapy.... ours like to play all the time.

Artie1 October 21st, 2017 11:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of the aux frame battery set up. I mostly copied the Duramax van design. The Negative cable is bolted directly to the frame, and the Positive cable is wired through a battery disconnect switch, enters the body (use rubber grommet!) under the driver's seat. It ends at the 13mm power post under the driver's seat fusebox, where you would normally connect your accessories.
On the Duramax vans, that positive cable is routed all the way to the main battery, where they have a power junction box riveted to the core support.

Teammuir1 October 21st, 2017 6:12 PM

ARTIE 1
thanks for the pics... I think I will call Monday.
and see about ordering the hardware I will need
to bolt the tray on.
4 bolts
4 retainers that the bolts thread into.
thanks again now I have the visual I need
to understand what you were telling me.
Greatly Appreciated.

StanVan October 23rd, 2017 5:03 PM

I've been experimenting with the ELM, and a mount for my tablet. I may get to version 2 of the mount tonight, but the ELM may be trouble. When it's plugged in, but not communicating with the tablet, it throws a "Check Stibilatrack" signal through the onboard trip computer. But when it connects with the tablet, no trouble codes are shown anywhere. Weird.

Teammuir1 October 23rd, 2017 5:33 PM

That is weird....
I have had mine connected to my tablet but only for a few min....
I have been very busy here at the house ....
havent had the time to do anything to the van.
although I am itching to ....

Teammuir1 October 23rd, 2017 5:36 PM

2006 GMC/EXPRESS Front bumper

2 Attachment(s)
So check this out I was prouzing the internet this morning...
and came across something I had not seen before...
has anyone seen a Van with GMC pickup front bumper......?????

so check out the pic...