Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Blinker Mirrors Option Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2007, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker Mirrors Option Retrofit

I have seen a few Express passenger vans in my area with the integrated blinkers on their mirrors. It seems this accessory is an option on this van. I asked the dealer if it could be done after-the-fact and they seemed to take an easy way out by saying 'no.' Something like a blinker mirror IMO could be retrofitted (I have done other mods to my other vehicles after the dealers said they couldn't be done).

So I guess my question, does anyone know how to remove the existing mirror for replacement? I googled but found no answer. Thanks
Old August 26th, 2007, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Blinker Mirrors Option Retrofit

I have been looking at the same upgrade. I just want the power mirrors. The mirrors themselves are simple to remove with two bolts, you may need a long socket. You then need to get the VIN number of a van that has them. I got that far from the listings on Overstock.com. Then order them from the dealer. You could even go out in the parking lot and find one that has the mirrors you want, copy the VIN and go to the parts department.

I have taken apart the doors on a 06 passenger express. There is no empty harness in the door on the driver side. There was one down by the foot pannel that stapps off right by the door. I think this is where the harness would plug in for the driver side. There was an empty connector in the passenger door, just below the power locks. not sure where this goes, but could be for power mirriors. I don't know what else it could be for.

You will also need the power stick that controls the mirrors, if you don't have the power mirror already.

You can look at the diagram on the computer at the dealership, but you will need that VIN number.

Please let me know if you make any more progress. If you can check the different price for the driver power mirror as opposed to both that have the blinker.

good luck!

I hope someone else knows more.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I am glad I don't have to remove the door panel to access the mirror's bolts. My dealer here doesn't carry lots of Express with upgraded options. I've only seen one with the blinker mirrors when I was in Florida this summer (this was where the idea hits).

I will investigate further and post any result.
Old August 28th, 2007, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't see one with the blinking mirrors over at Overstock.com. They do have the VIN numbers for other ones with power mirrors.

The door panels are easy to remove. I used a small pry bar then wrapped the base with a strip of ducktape to keep it from scratching any metal. It snaps out around the sides and bottom. But be careful at the top. At the window edge it lifts up and out, not just out. There are a few philllips screws for the door handle. But, it's real easy to take apart and put back together if you need to wire your mirrors or install new door speakers. (those are 6 1/2') by the way. I even ran new speaker wire through that little rubber tube, with a wire pull. Although any old fat wire you can push through there will work.

I'll keep you posted also with the mirrors.

Oh, yeah, those bolts for the mirrors are probably going to be metric 7 or 10 mm, deep sockets.

I don't know if the blinking mirrors were a part of some other heated mirror package? I remember seeing the fuse in the right place under the seat for the power mirrors, so the wiring is in place.

The blinking mirrors sound like a great idea.

edit: you may not need the VIN number. I needed it for another part because the computer there is more specific with the VIN. But maybe they only need to know they are blinking mirrors for a 07 Express. You should be able to see the wiring on the diagram as well. If you already have the power mirrors, then maybe all you have to do is plug in the new blinking mirrors? If not my guess is that they plug in down at that empty harness by the door, then the wire runs though the door and up to the mirrors. You can also check with places that install those kinds of upgrades if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey John:
I was able to get a hold of the blinker mirrors from an '07 VIN. Now, you said the door panel needs also to be removed in order to access the harness? If so, do you remove the panel with the window open or close or half-way? Thanks
Old November 12th, 2007, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

I think mine were up. If not the window could be in the way. no big deal, you can always adjust it. but make sure the wire isn't in the way when it goes down. shouldn't be a problem.

You will need a small pry bar. Crutchfields has a plastic one so it doesn't scratch. I used a metal one from Lowes (a handy tool) then wrapped some tape around the ends.

Start on the sides. Don't pry the top of the panel! The top of the panel lifts up and off so don't break that. I did on one side, not bad, but you need to lift it up.

It's not difficult. You also may need to search around for the harness down under the kick panel on the dirver's side, which is easy to remove also. I think that's where it plugs in.

Did they have a diagram at the auto parts dept? That way you can see where the wire plugs in at.

Let me know how it works out! Good luck!

Edit: there are also a few screws in the door handle. One removes the small cover, three or four remove the arm rest, etc.. you will need to remove all of those before lifting the panel off the top lip.

You may need to feed the wire harness through the rubber tube. I used the speaker wire or a wire pull, then black tape the harness and pull it back the other way. You can also use soap and water in that situation or remove the rubber tube from both ends that is also easier. (but I'm still not sure where the harness plugs in. I only noticed one empty harness behind the kick panel on the dirver's side. The passenger door appeared to have the plug on the door panel.)

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
CF Junior Member

I want to thank John for his instruction to remove the door panel. For my '07 passenger, there are four screws to remove and a few snaps before the panel can be lifted off the door window. The first two screws are right behind the inside door pull, you would have to pry off the square cover. the other two screws are harder to get to because it is difficult to remove the door arm rest. If you look under the arm rest, there is a small notch where a flat screw driver would fit in... pry it open and with your your might, pull out the entire plastic arm rest. It is hard. Remove only the two big screws at either end of the arm rest. Then start at the bottom and pull out the panel, they are now held together by these plastic snap-on "divot." Be careful because they break (I broke one). Lift off the window sill and unplug the switch harnesses.

And here is the good news ... If yours has power mirror and heated mirror, the blinker wires are already intact. You can check fuse 14 and 19 under the driver seat to see if these are there or at least the metal contacts are in there. They both take 10 amp fuse.

All I did was just plug in the new blinker mirror harness and voila, everything works! no additional or modified wiring is necessary. It is the easiest mod ever!!
Old November 25th, 2007, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

I'm so jealous!

I just wanted to add that if you don't have the power mirrors already, there is still the fuse in 14 and 19 for them. So that's why I was thinking the empty harness is down at kick panel.