Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

e brake

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2017, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e brake

1988 Chev G20 351 V8 auto.
When I pull the emergency brake lever,to release the e brake, although it does release, the pedal doesn't come right up, I have to hook my foot under the e brake pedal and lift it the last few inches.
Also when I park up for a week or so. the rear brakes stick on and loosen off with a jolt. This happens even when I dont have the e brake engaged.
Does the E brake assembly have it's own spring to pull it up? Why would the brake shoes stick to the drum?
Old February 13th, 2017, 5:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leaking wheel cylinders and or axle seals. Oil on the brakes can cause them to stick. There can also be a groove worn into the backing plate that the shoes are handing up on. This can happen on older vehicles. You won't know until you pull off the drums and have a look.
The pedal has a return spring as well, and some wd 40 may help there.
Old February 13th, 2017, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks canucklehead
This was the answer I was looking for.
So the pedal has a return spring. I had a feeling it did but I hav'nt looked at it properly yet, I think that will be the problem with the pedal release. I will remove the mechanism and check the spring.
I have stripped everything down on the drum and I will look for any grooves.
Old February 13th, 2017, 6:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While the brakes are off and the emerg cable is slack, you can put some brake grease on the points that it contacts.
Old February 14th, 2017, 1:52 AM
CF Beginner

thanks Mate
I have now cleaned the backing plate, it looks to be in good condition, I will grease the contact points.
I think the answer to my problem is mainly the return spring on the pedal. I wsn't sure if it had one and it's arkward to get down and see.
I will take a look at that properly today.