Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Intermittent Starting/running issue w/ 2001

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to take the car in to a dealership for diagnosis. As determined as I am, I feel like I've done all that I can do. We tried starting the car today as my dad needs to use it and it was a no-go.
Old November 15th, 2009, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I just figured out how to OHM the injectors at that large connector on top of the intake manifold. All of them checked out perfectly within spec ranging from 12.2 to 12.4 ohms. It must be a sensor of some sort causing this then, right?
Old November 16th, 2009, 5:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I have this adjustable spark tester that was saying the spark should be able to jump this fairly large distance, over an inch. This didn't seem right , but regardless, the spark wouldnt jump the gap unless it was super close. I'm wondering if maybe the coil or ignition module is going bad and the spark is just really weak. Sound possible? I'm going to order some more parts before i give up on this beast.
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I just replaced the ignition control module after about over a week of failed attempts to start the car. I even tried pouring starting fluid down the intake but no luck. Immediately after replacing the module the van started up without much of a problem at all. I knew better than to get excited as this is the EXACT same thing that happened when I replaced the crankshaft sensor harness, then the sensor itself, and even the came sensor. All of these things are ignition related so I feel like it's trying to tell me something.

Today I went to start the van after a consecutive successful starting day since the module replacement and it gave me the same old story. It smells like gas.

I am going to pick up a coil today even though my hope is low. I also forgot to mention that I removed and checked the EGR (yes i finally located it) and there was no carbon build-up, the spindle even moved relatively easily.

edit-replaced the coil with no luck.

Last edited by Chillin014; November 20th, 2009 at 3:28 PM.
Old November 24th, 2009, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default van

Ok,here's my story,after setting a month of not running,I got a press tester this sat,checked it & had 65psi. So I'm setting there looking @ the engine & thought I might as well hit the key again & see what happens.
It started,I shut it off,put the cover back on,drove abot 5 mi came back.Started later again & ever since ok I drove it to work f/2 days(knock on wood)I think it might be the fpr since it doesn't start after it sets.
So I wish everyone else luck.
Old November 25th, 2009, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

I had that on my list of possible failed items but I wanted to find out if the fpr has any effect on the pressure test readings I've already gotten. According to the tests, my fuel system is working properly...but if any body can clarify that the fpr has some different effect despite the pressure tests I may replace it.
Old November 25th, 2009, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Yours must be ok then if you have pressure,my pump wasn't wasn't b4 when it wouldn't start.
Old December 6th, 2009, 5:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default van

Well the van that wouldn't start is still runnung,but I went yesterday to drive the 02 w/a v-6 & now it won't start,I can't hear the pump run.
So I got thinking last nite about the fact that when I checked the fuel pressure that I lost some gas & relieved it of pressure & maybe that caused the FPR to release & start working,if it warms up today I'm gonna try it & post the results.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Still no luck but something different happened today. Tried to start the van and got the typical no-start but it continued to diesel. So I lightly pressed the gas pedal and kept the motor dieseling for what seemed like 30-45 seconds, it was a long time, I thought it was going to actually start. During this dieseling there was smoke coming out of the intake which smelt like fuel obviously. Does this throw any red flags to anyone? Timing/Fuel? Is it becoming flooded?

I dont know what could be wrong with the timing though...I've replaced almost all those components.
Old April 15th, 2010, 2:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Okay guys, finally I believe I have reached a conclusion to my problem. I had the van towed in to the dealership and they diagnosed it and concluded that it was an electrical short in the cap and rotor. They had me over the barrel so I ended up paying 300 bucks for them to change the damn cap and rotor. The van has not given me any trouble since, and it's been a few weeks.
The cap and rotor was replaced by me a year or two back with some aftermarket piece and apparently it is relatively common for them to have this issue. I was so close to replacing the damn cap and rotor for peace of mind, so I feel a little sore. But at least this whole ordeal is finally over and we will now sell the vehicle and I will consider it a lesson learned!
thanks for the help everybody.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting/running issue w/ 2001