Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Wander

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2024, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jjrbus
I have a 2001 Chevy Express 3500 cut away that is a Road Trek class B RV. .I have put on about 8000 miles and it was tight when I bought it. This thing wanders, I have had it checked couple times and they say the front end is tight However not one of them greased the front end so have to wonder about their opinions. Have had 3 front end alignments with a top notch shop who found the hidden upper idler arm grease fitting was bone dry, greasing it did make a difference and they adjusted steering box. They were embarrassed missing it before and did not charge me for that service. Replaced tires and shocks and put on aluminum wheels since acquiring it. I did read one post that stated they thought the after market aluminum wheels affected handling.

There does not appear to be any frame damage or rot. I suspect the control arm bushings are worn but not shot, I am no mechanic just guessing. I am thinking buying a upper and lower front suspension kit and replacing everything. The Mevotech kits seem to be well thought of, any opinion on these. How many hours would a shop charge for installing these kits? Anything I might have missed? Any thoughts, ideas, opinions, input or wisecracks greatly appreciated.

You mentioned you switched out the wheels, but you never mentioned the tire width. Wider tires will tend to wander more, especially on a highway with worn ‘tire ruts’.

Yes, the pitman and idler arms do wear fast on the vans. I could get a 50k miles out of a set before one of them was sloppy.

Yes, a larger offset will magnify the alignment settings. Since it was a good alignment shop that did your alignment, you can ask them if they compensated for this, and as mentioned above, even have them do a custom alignment.

Particularly in a van with high sides for crosswind, the shocks play a huge part in the stability. I get what you are saying that wander feels different from sway, but your front end is a combination of geometries, and they all need to play a strong part.

Replace the pitman and idler arms, replace the shocks/dampers, and get a custom alignment. Otherwise put the stock steel wheels back on and call it a failed experiment.

Last edited by RoadTrip; January 1st, 2024 at 8:12 AM.
Old January 1st, 2024, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the response, LT245 75R 16 LR 10 Bridgestone V-Steel rib. Trying to figure out what to do, my regular mechanic shop unfriended me when I bought the Roadtrek. I got hold of the mechanic at the shop who I have been dealing with for years and he made a house call. He said the front end is tight and the idler arms and brackets look like they were replaced, he said it is hard to tell but the alignment does not look right to him and to have it checked. Van has 75K on it.

I like my alignment shop but just in case I have an appointment at another shop tomorrow, then Wed have a tire inspection/ balance scheduled. If both of them give me a clean bill of health I will stop at the pick and pull for a set of rims.

One person did post that when they were having issues that changing from aluminum to steel rims solved the problem.
The following users liked this post:
RoadTrip (January 1st, 2024)
Old January 3rd, 2024, 5:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Finding myself a bit confused and in unfamiliar territory. I am told there is a kit for adjusting alignment on my 01 Chevy cut away 3500 SWR. All I can find is a kit to replace what is there that is slotted for one that has detents to hold alignment in place. I believe I am looking for something that will allow adjusting caster and camber. Anyone know what I am talking about or looking for?
Old January 3rd, 2024, 3:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

caster is not adjustable. camber is done with the control arm mounts, and toe with the tie rods.
The following users liked this post:
jjrbus (January 3rd, 2024)
Old January 3rd, 2024, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
caster is not adjustable. camber is done with the control arm mounts, and toe with the tie rods.

What about this caster/camber kit that is available??

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCP2...jBN8O3J2vxUmBM
Old January 3rd, 2024, 4:59 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see how those can adjust caster. And why would you want to?
Camber adjustment should be done by an alignment shop.

Old January 3rd, 2024, 7:12 PM
CF Junior Member

I am told by a very knowledgeable RV person that with the current specs the van will never handle well. These specs are after the alignment.I have had 3 alignments, the front end inspected 4 times, 3 said the front end is tight one said it needs control arms. Today I had the tires inspected and road force balanced, they said the tires are fine and only 1 needed rebalancing. Still wanders, something is not right.

Quote "He is blowing smoke up somewhere not mentionable. The caster and camber are too far off to make the van handle decently"

Last edited by jjrbus; January 3rd, 2024 at 7:21 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 7:35 PM
Super Moderator

was it in a wreck?
Old January 3rd, 2024, 11:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
was it in a wreck?

The car fax shows no wrecks and there is no signs of it being damaged in anyway. Drove well when I test drove it and a 500 mile trip home, the trip home was with the new tires on steel rims. Since buying I changed the tires to Bridgestone LT V-Steel rib 245 75R 10 ply, KYB Gas adjust shocks and changed from steel wheels to aluminum. The only thing I have found is the aluminum wheels have a 28mm offset and the specs for the van are 16=20mm. The idler arms and brackets appear to have been replaced before I bought the van. There was no sudden noticeable change after changing anything. My alignment guy said that the offset could be causing the wandering. I am **** about psi and run 80 psi in the rear and 65 psi in the front. It is reported there was a TSB from Roadtrek to run the front tires at 65, I have experimented with the psi from 50 psi and up and it does feel better at 65.

I am watching for a set of steel wheels for this to try them, the 8 lug van rim is not easy to find for reasonable money.

Last edited by jjrbus; January 4th, 2024 at 12:00 AM.
Old January 4th, 2024, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

You can't really trust Carfax. They only track stuff that was reported.
I can't think of any other reason why the caster would be off. Unless someone installed the wrong control arms.

Quick Reply: Wander