Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   2000 Silverado 1500, 5.3L engine with 215k miles, OIL RECOMMENDATIONS? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/2000-silverado-1500-5-3l-engine-215k-miles-oil-recommendations-95459/)

MountainTodd May 11th, 2019 3:11 PM

2000 Silverado 1500, 5.3L engine with 215k miles, OIL RECOMMENDATIONS?

Hey guys, I'm sorry to post so many stupid questions, but I've only had this truck for a little over two years (first Chevy), and I need help figuring out what's best and how to fix/maintain it!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...1ce9b3ce04.jpg

It's a 2000 Silverado 1500, ext. cab, 4x4, auto, 5.3L engine with 215k miles on it. Looking for oil recommendations? I've been using Pennzoil 10w30.

-current valve cover gasket and timing cover oil leaks. *However, I just bought a new, updated Dorman valve cover/gasket, getting ready to install it. Going to ignore the timing cover oil leak for now.
-use about a quart of oil every 3-4 weeks.
-did have sludgy oil the last few oil changes. *Getting ready to use some Liqui Moly Pro-line Engine Flush before next oil change.
-does experience some slow starts. *Did a detailed throttle body cleaning last summer without much change.
-does experience some ticky valves at start up. *From what I understand this is quite normal.
-I live in a cooler climate, summertime max 85 degrees; cold in winters, can be single digits at times. Lot's of hills!
-I do more short, stop and go trips, then long distances, but my wife and I would like to take it on long vacations where it will be hot!

I'm sure there are a lot of personal brands/favorites of oil, but I'd like to know especially what weights are best for the older 5.3L engines with higher mileage!! ???

Thanks for all your time and help!

Rednucleus May 11th, 2019 5:10 PM

A qt every 3-4 weeks is quite a bit depending on how many miles that takes - how many miles for a quart? And, is it ending up under your rig or are you burning it?

MountainTodd May 11th, 2019 5:55 PM

A qt every 3-4 weeks is quite a bit depending on how many miles that takes - how many miles for a quart? And, is it ending up under your rig or are you burning it?
Seems like I put about a quart in every month or couple tanks of gas. It definitely ends up under the truck, a few drops each stop. Probably burning some up too. I'm hoping that by changing the valve cover and gasket that it slows it down some. I'm probably going to leave the timing chain cover leak to a professional, probably going to cost $300 too!

So, what oil is best for the 5.3L motors with high miles?

Irish_alley May 11th, 2019 6:13 PM

i used regular pennzoil 10-30 or 10-40 on my 02 4.8. just traded her in with 250,000 miles. should of grabbed the optima battery out of it but it was close to 15 years old lol

MountainTodd May 13th, 2019 9:22 AM

I would love to hear from some other folks. What's the best oil for an older (2000) 5.3L engine with over 200k on it? Thanks!

Rednucleus May 13th, 2019 11:43 AM

What does your oil pressure read at cold idle, hot idle, and hot freeway speeds?

MountainTodd May 13th, 2019 11:46 AM

What does your oil pressure read at cold idle, hot idle, and hot freeway speeds?
Ranges 40-60 I think.

Rednucleus May 13th, 2019 3:59 PM

If your pressure is not dropping below 15 at hot idle I would run manufacturer's recommended weight, but buy a high mileage oil option.

subfan597 May 14th, 2019 8:36 AM

I bought my '01 Suburban 5.3 new and just hit 240,000 this past week. This is my experience after 4 Suburbans. I live near Chicago so my weather conditions can be extreme also. I try to stretch the oil changes to every 5000 miles, but when the "Change Engine Oil" light comes on, that is when I use a conventional High Mileage 5W30, usually Valvoline or Pennzoil. Upon occasion I add a half quart of Rislone before oil changes to clean out and prevent any sludge buildup. The "sticky valves" that you mention IS normal for this engine, but that doesn't mean that it's OK to have. I say that despite the letter that I have from GM when I first bought the vehicle and questioned the noise back when it was new. I use a Bosch oil filter with a check valve in it; that noise you hear is cause by the oil draining down into the pan after the engine is turned off. When restarting the engine it takes a bit for the oil to get where it has to do quiet the noise. The check valve helps to keep the oil up in the engine where it belongs. If I drive the truck today the noise is barely audible the next day. If I drive it today and it sits for a day or two, the noise comes back because the oil eventually does slip past the check valve. I believe that AC makes one also. I didn't learn about this filter till I was around 200,000 miles; they are more expensive, but having it must surely extend engine life and I only wish I'd known earlier.

MountainTodd May 15th, 2019 8:04 AM

Thanks Subfan597 and Rednuculeus!

Dumb question, is 5w30 the manufacturers recommended weight?

Subfan597, do you know the part number for that Bosch oil filter with the check valve?