Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   2002 automatic Cavalier slow acceleration in first gear (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/2002-automatic-cavalier-slow-acceleration-first-gear-86647/)

NoHubcapLife October 31st, 2017 10:12 PM

2002 automatic Cavalier slow acceleration in first gear

My 2002 cav (2.2L Automatic Sedan) has been having very sluggish acceleration in first gear lately, to the point where I rev about 1k above where it used to be to accelerate at the same rate. Once it flips into second everything seems normal. Oil and coolant are clean and levels seem fine. Tires are fully inflated, brakes are fine, basically everything else is normal. Anything I can check/do on my own as someone with little to no experience working on cars before taking it in?

Thanks in advance

oilcanhenry November 3rd, 2017 4:27 AM

Originally Posted by NoHubcapLife (Post 346622)
My 2002 cav (2.2L Automatic Sedan) has been having very sluggish acceleration in first gear lately, to the point where I rev about 1k above where it used to be to accelerate at the same rate. Once it flips into second everything seems normal. Oil and coolant are clean and levels seem fine. Tires are fully inflated, brakes are fine, basically everything else is normal. Anything I can check/do on my own as someone with little to no experience working on cars before taking it in?

Thanks in advance

High mileage car? Likely slippage which means an overhaul, or a new or used transmission.

NoHubcapLife November 4th, 2017 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 346768)
High mileage car? Likely slippage which means an overhaul, or a new or used transmission.

Not super high, 140,000 km. Got a rough estimate what that could cost me?

tech2 November 4th, 2017 3:55 PM

any difference if you start in manual low? if it doesn't slip in low but does in drive/od the forward clutch may be nfg.

phone some trans shop in Winnipeg. the usa price will not be indicative of canada.

You can probably get a for sure diag for $300.

You can get complete transmission prices at rock auto in canadian dollars. $2100 delivered. there is a core return for $450 but the cost to return the core is the same as shipping it back.

the labour time to remove, replace and rebuild your existing trans is 16 hours.

9.5 hours to remove and replace with a new trans so that's over a grand not including buying the transmission.
Shop hourly rates can vary from $80 to $140/hr

add fluids and taxes your into 3 to 4 grand. You can get a much newer, higher end car for 6 grand so consider it before a rebuild.

NoHubcapLife November 5th, 2017 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 346876)
any difference if you start in manual low? if it doesn't slip in low but does in drive/od the forward clutch may be nfg.

phone some trans shop in Winnipeg. the usa price will not be indicative of canada.

You can probably get a for sure diag for $300.

You can get complete transmission prices at rock auto in canadian dollars. $2100 delivered. there is a core return for $450 but the cost to return the core is the same as shipping it back.

the labour time to remove, replace and rebuild your existing trans is 16 hours.

9.5 hours to remove and replace with a new trans so that's over a grand not including buying the transmission.
Shop hourly rates can vary from $80 to $140/hr

add fluids and taxes your into 3 to 4 grand. You can get a much newer, higher end car for 6 grand so consider it before a rebuild.

Thanks. If it's that bad, I'll probably just end up scrapping the thing. Could it possibly just be low on transmission fluid?

oilcanhenry November 5th, 2017 5:26 AM

Originally Posted by NoHubcapLife (Post 346912)
Thanks. If it's that bad, I'll probably just end up scrapping the thing. Could it possibly just be low on transmission fluid?

Could be but at this piont the transmission is damaged or worn so adding fluid would not make it shift properly. A 15 year old car with over100k, it might be better to upgrade to a newer Chevy.

tech2 November 5th, 2017 6:02 AM

sure check it

with the 4t40e the fluid level check is hard without a hoist
-with the vehicle on level ground and trans fluid temp at 20*C, start the vehicle, run it through the gears and back to park.
-remove the check plug on the side of the transaxle case
-fluid should drip out of the fill hole....if not, add fluid 0.5 liters at a time until it does. when it does start draining out, install the fill plug.
do not shut the engine off with the drain plug out or the t/c will drain down and out the fill hole.