Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2002 Chevy Express - Speedometer and PRND321 issues

Old April 25th, 2017, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Chevy Express - Speedometer and PRND321 issues

So without being mean, I am just going to say someone screwed up my baby!!

Here is an image of my problem.

As you can see, someone cut the wires and realised - whatever they were doing - was not going to work and they "fixed it"

There are 2 black wires and 2 grey lines that may not be connected properly. Idk. there is a purple wire that is way too close to the (what i know it to be called) harness and the longer wire and the small one may not be connected right.

Before these wires were cut and "fixed" my speedometer worked just fine and the PRND321 and mileage was visible. Now they do NOT work, and all the other lights and gauges do.

I did some research but could only find issues were within the instrument cluster... I do not believe this is the problem, because as stated above, it worked fine before these wires were cut.

Question is:
- Which wire controls this?
- is there anyway to correct this issue without having to buy a whole new wiring system?
- It seems as though these wires may be brittle, so maybe I should just replace it? what does that cost on average?

Thank you in advance!

- Sorry If I am posting in the wrong section, I am new here, i read the guidelines though and this seemed to be the appropriate area to discuss my issue.

Last edited by starchaser2020; April 25th, 2017 at 8:43 AM. Reason: update
Old April 25th, 2017, 9:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

Are all the wires connected to the same color wire? Pink to pink, yellow to yellow etc? Also are the wires soldered together or are they just wrapped around each other? Heat shrink tubing should have been used instead of tape. It might just be a loose connection.
Old April 25th, 2017, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I am hoping for, loose connection. All the wires are matched to the correct colours. However they are just wrapped around each other and NOT soldered. Lol, i realise it looks terrible, I was not aware this was even happening and was very upset when I saw this. I was not aware of heat shrink tubing. I just stuck electrical tape around the wires so no other issue occurred. I will get heat shrink tubing.

Do you know if the wires in the harness can be removed?

Search this Thread