Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E Question - suddenly lost 3/4 Gears

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2015, 5:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
If you have no movement in drive and you pull the shifter down to manual one and it moves, your low sprag is no good, If you put the shifter i drive 3 does the car move? in manual 2nd it will take off on the band. Gary
Old December 11th, 2015, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsferraro
Jeff,
If you have no movement in drive and you pull the shifter down to manual one and it moves, your low sprag is no good, If you put the shifter i drive 3 does the car move? in manual 2nd it will take off on the band. Gary
The truck will only take off in 1st or 2nd. And then I can manually shift to 3rd and D
Old December 11th, 2015, 5:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your low sprag is no good.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Osann (February 4th, 2024)
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The sprag in the forward sprag assembly is broken. I'd replace the entire sprag assembly.
Old March 16th, 2016, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jeff, or Kchevy ???? please help! you'd literally impact my life in an amazing way!

Long story short, I'm 19 and dont know a whole lot about vehicles and I'm stuck in Florida for work with a 2001 chevrolet s10, ext cab, 2.2 L, 4 cylinder, automatic. On the way here I was going about 97 mph for maybe 15 minutes and boom 3rd and 4th gear disappeared. I drove 12 hours the rest of the wayat 45 mph. Half way I stopped at an auto part store and the computer code was transmission overheating and rear wheel speed sensor, I replaced the sensor, but that didnt do anything. Prior to me leaving to Florida about a week before, I did get into a wreck dodging a deer, I ran over a sign, dent on bumper and scrapes on a few things under truck where the sign broke. 3 days prior to losing 3rd and 4th, I did notice a few late shifts and odd things. I have 1st 2nd and reverse, I can take off in drive and it will shift into 3rd, but when I try to accelerate its like being in neutral. Could it be anything as minor as a solenoid?? Please tell me your thoughts. I want to go home.

Last edited by jason bradford; March 16th, 2016 at 6:07 AM.
Alex Stewart (April 15th, 2021)
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Where is the transmission fuse on an 03 avalanche

Originally Posted by H_T_D
Just did a rebuild on a 4L60E transmission. (my first)

It worked great for four days, had all gears, shifted at proper RPM/Speed, and all seemed great.

Then, suddenly, I lost third and fourth gear. There was no slipping or other indication of a problem, and it still doesn't feel like a slip, it feels like it shifts into neutral instead.

Manually shifting doesn't make any difference.

Since I reused the old solenoids, it it likely that the 3/4 solenoid has failed?

If it worked fine for four days does that make it unlikely that I got a check ball in the wrong place?

I did check the transmission fuse and it is fine and the fluid level is fine/no leaks.

I know I can change the solenoids with the Tranny in the truck, so I'm hoping not to have to drop the whole Tranny/Xfer case again. Are there any other likely suspects? Anything else I can check?

I also know how to Ohm out the solenoids and how to apply 12V to test them out of the tranny, but is there a way to test them without dropping the pan? I don't have a scanner, but maybe a way to feed 12V to the solenoid lead and listen for the click? I have to dump 6 quarts of new tranny fluid down the drain.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.
​​​​​​
Where can i find the transmission fuse on a 03 Chevy avalanche
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

did you ever figure out the problem?
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 04 Silverado 4.8L Lost 3+4 gear ? Is this thread correct one to follow?

Originally Posted by gsferraro
Hello,
If the problem is the sun shell, you would have no 2nd,4th or reverse. If the problem is the input sprag the trans would lock up in 4th, because in 4th the sprag freewheels. The problem is with the 3-4 clutch, if you cant find the reason why they are burning out, the big input drum likes to crack internally(this happens with 2004 and up). You also may want to do a pressure check. The 3-4 clutch is the weak point on this unit. Gary(i have a trans shop in new york)
is this 04 Silverado? I lost 3+4 also in mine..4.8L

Last edited by Grbjr Bunch; May 10th, 2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: More info
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Reverse is fine...1st and second fine... slipping going into 3rd and 4th....ideas??
tinybird (April 2nd, 2020)
Old February 7th, 2018, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tech from Northeastern Transparts
Probably needs overhaul. In 3rd and 4th gear the 3/4 frictions are applied. They are the same part. They are applied for 3rd and 4th gears. It won't be a shift solenoid. If you pull the fuse for the transmission you should have third gear only. ( in 3rd gear both solenoids are off). So, pull the fuse, if no move, 3rd gear frictions internally are smoked.
. So my 3rd and 4th stopped as well...i pulled the transmission. Fuse and it goes..so what exactly does that mean my problem is?

Quick Reply: 4L60E Question - suddenly lost 3/4 Gears