Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

4T65E transmissions?

Old February 24th, 2010, 1:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4T65E transmissions?

do these tranny's turn to junk at around 100,000miles? my 05 monte carlo LT has 95,000 on it and my trans is doing some weird stuff. eariler this week it was low on fluid somehow and i can't find a leak. ever since it's been acting up. but it only seems to do it when accelerating from a stop or a roll and only 1st gear. it feels like a slip and a jerk or maybe it's just a hard downshift from second. i'm not sure what's going on with it but i know it isn't normal. UUUGGHHH!!!!
Old February 24th, 2010, 1:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a recent tranny fluid flush?
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gotstylez
had a recent tranny fluid flush?
yup. back in december. and the fluid is still red, but the other day it was low but no sign of leaks
Old February 24th, 2010, 1:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm could of been caused by the low fluid..did u happen to check it after they did the flush of the fluid? you have to watch them becuase they wont add enough or they will go over..stupid you have to go behind then and look.
Old February 24th, 2010, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

yea i checked everything afterwards. although on the invoice there wasn't a mark that they replaced the trans filter..so i don't know what to make of that.

but i'm pretty sure i know the problem. and that would be the EPC solenoid. i guess those tend to go bad on these transmissions. but i haven't went to see if i'm throwing a code or not.
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:19 AM
CF Active Member

For sure the problems is with the solenoids. My 03 impala started this crazy hick up at around the same mileage. Worse sometimes the transmission was going in high pressure mode creating hard shifting on all gears. Did not bother to have it repaired I replaced it with a brand new uplander.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Impala's 4T65E bumping 6 years now...

Hi, I'm new at this forum.

I am no mechanic but about two months ago my sister purchased a used Chevy Uplander, which I believe it comes with the 4T65E, and which is also the transmission for the Grand Prix, Impala, Bonneville, and many of the GM family of full-front wheel drive sedans.

After she purchased the Uplander, she told me to check some of the fluids on the van and the reality was that the fluids needed to be replaced. The engine oil was dark. The transmission oil had a greyish to dark-transnsparent color with some black colored particles.

Due to this I recommended her she made the fluid and filter changes on the engine and the transmission.

Unfortunately, on the fluid and filter change on the transmission did not seem to help because the vehicle now bumps on almost every gear-change while accelerating and bumps brutally when downshifting to a stop like from second to first gear.

As to my research, the culprit to this symptom is the "pressure control solenoid."

I have been experiencing this similar symptom but not so frequently and only in warm temperatures on my 03 Chevy Impala for almost six years up to now and the transmission has not broken down. This symptom is a result after a transmission fluid flush at the dealership back in 06. As for my experience on the Impala's symptom which is similar to my sister's Van's symptom, is it okay to continue driving these GM vehicles under this circumstance?
Old May 19th, 2012, 5:58 AM
CF Active Member

There will be a time when you will not be able to run it anymore. Just before I traded my 03 impala it started to makes loud whine and I knew that it was time to trade this lemon. Now GM is using in their transmission syntetic transmission oil and I have 61,000 kilometers on my 09 uplander and never had a single issues with my transmission which is basiccally the same as the Impala. The 3.9 liters engine is quite fantastic and is a real workhorse with a lots of power to spare. I pull a minilite 1809s trailer with no problem.
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rodo01,

I would recommend having the vehicles inspected by a certified technician. There may be a valve body, servo, accumulator and/or 2-4 band issues. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis. A certified technician will be able to offer additional information after a physical inspection of the vehicles.

If you need assistance finding a technician near you, please PM me your ZIP code.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 22nd, 2012, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply Louis,

I actually live in the lower south texas area. I'll give you the zip shortly.

First of all, how much would a certified technician charge to diagnose these symptoms?

The zip code is 78539.

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4T65E transmissions?