Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 chevy 1500 no fuel

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2011, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 chevy 1500 no fuel

hi im new here, just signed up! im not sure if im posting this in the right spot but here it goes.... my k1500 z71 is not starting. when i turn the key the fuel pump doesnt prime. i replaced the sending unit and relay. still not getting the pump to prime. if i put fuel down the throttle body she will fire up until the fuel is gone that i dumped in. i did replace the computer with one i got from the junk yard... maybe it was a bad one i got? any other suggestion? i was told maybe a possible bad ground? fyi , i also changed the oil pressure switch and ignition switch.
Old July 8th, 2011, 7:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jaynasty
hi im new here, just signed up! im not sure if im posting this in the right spot but here it goes.... my k1500 z71 is not starting. when i turn the key the fuel pump doesnt prime. i replaced the sending unit and relay. still not getting the pump to prime. if i put fuel down the throttle body she will fire up until the fuel is gone that i dumped in. i did replace the computer with one i got from the junk yard... maybe it was a bad one i got? any other suggestion? i was told maybe a possible bad ground? fyi , i also changed the oil pressure switch and ignition switch.
Take the fuel pump relay out, jumper 12 volts to the wire suppling the pump. If it doesn't come on, replace the pump.
Old July 8th, 2011, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

i did that the other day and it turned on. any other suggestions?
Old July 9th, 2011, 3:44 AM
Banned

Jay-deductive logic says it's the relay then.
Old July 9th, 2011, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

the relay was done... would it be a ground? if so where would i look for a bad ground?
Old July 12th, 2011, 7:30 AM
CF Active Member

Have you changed to fuel filter? Does it have a pressure regulator on it? If so, check them.
Old July 12th, 2011, 7:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you replace the right relay? One is for the fuel pump, 1 is for the AC and 1 is for the ECM. If the relay for the ecm or fuel pump is out then the pump will never prime.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
CF Active Member

RacerX makes a good point. Check the # on the relays for all 3 he mentioned. If they're the same number and if they're the same, try swapping their positions. Number them along with the socket they come out of so you can put them back in the right place.