Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   AC Problems (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/ac-problems-90370/)

okstate31 May 14th, 2018 7:32 PM

AC Problems

First off, my apologies if I am posting in the wrong section. I’m new to the forum so hold on tight. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 6.6L. Last year the AC worked but would freeze up and stop blowing, then eventually thaw out and work again. This year it doesn’t work at all. I put a test light on the compressor plugs and had no power to the compressor. I don’t know whether or not to replace it or if it’s an electrical issue somewhere. All the fuses are good. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

tech2 May 14th, 2018 9:26 PM

if the system has low pressure...the low pressure switch will open and not allow the compressor to turn on
you could briefly (to long and the compressor will be damaged) jumper the low pressure switch...if it engages the compressor...have the system recovered, charged and leak tested.

how were you able to confirm the evaporator froze up?

okstate31 May 15th, 2018 3:39 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 357029)
if the system has low pressure...the low pressure switch will open and not allow the compressor to turn on
you could briefly (to long and the compressor will be damaged) jumper the low pressure switch...if it engages the compressor...have the system recovered, charged and leak tested.

how were you able to confirm the evaporator froze up?

all the lines and evaporator were covered with ice. I’ll give that a try and let you know

kevinkpk May 15th, 2018 3:44 PM

That is indicative of low freon charge, and since it is a closed system, you have a leak.

okstate31 May 15th, 2018 4:02 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 357076)
That is indicative of low freon charge, and since it is a closed system, you have a leak.

Ok, Iv tried putting Freon in it but it says it’s full. Should I just go ahead and drain the system? Do would I go about finding the leak?

kevinkpk May 15th, 2018 5:45 PM

Originally Posted by okstate31 (Post 357079)

Ok, Iv tried putting Freon in it but it says it’s full. Should I just go ahead and drain the system? Do would I go about finding the leak?

Ok, what say's it's full? If the system is full, freon isn't the problem.

okstate31 May 15th, 2018 6:08 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 357082)
Ok, what say's it's full? If the system is full, freon isn't the problem.

Just hooking the hoses up, gauge says it’s full. Is it normal to not have power to the compressor? Like I said earlier, I took the plugs out and put a test light on them and there was nothing

kevinkpk May 15th, 2018 7:18 PM

Originally Posted by okstate31 (Post 357084)

Just hooking the hoses up, gauge says it’s full. Is it normal to not have power to the compressor? Like I said earlier, I took the plugs out and put a test light on them and there was nothing

Actually like you didn't say. You can put gauges on static, you should read same across the compressor. If the system has a charge that will allow the compressor to operate, then start systematically troubleshooting where you don't have power to the ac clutch.