Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   car dead and key stuck in ignition (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/car-dead-key-stuck-ignition-32432/)

bankshots April 25th, 2010 6:13 PM

car dead and key stuck in ignition

My traverse has been acting up a couple of days by running after the car is turned off and the key taken out. If you put the key back in and "restart" and shut off it went off and a fan ran for a couple of minutes and shut off. I was planning on taking to the dealer monday morning but I went to the garage today and the car is completely dead and I cant remove the key from the ignition. It wont turn back far enough to where you normally remove the key. Unfortunately the car is parked under cabinetry which will not allow me to open the hood to jump the vehicle and the car will not shift out of park to push the car back. Any suggestions?

nauticstar87 April 25th, 2010 7:13 PM

You can't turn the key to the on position, press the brake and put it in neutral? Just want to be sure I'm reading it correctly.

bankshots April 25th, 2010 10:32 PM

key turns on, car dead and cant remove key

I can turn the key to the on position but absolutely no power is evident. You can not turn the key all the way off to release the key. In no position while braking can the car be taken out of park.

therewolf April 26th, 2010 12:25 AM

Hi bankshots,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Does it have a console-shift automatic transmission? My daughter just had the same problem this weekend. It's a dead Transmission Interlock Security Solenoid.

What I did was ( leave the key in the ignition) jump start the car. I took it to my mechanic.
They pulled out the solenoid, it's a dealer part which serves no practical purpose whatsoever. I have absolutely no intention of spending hundreds of dollars to have the dealer put in a new one. Hopefully, your battery will also charge and still be OK.

bankshots April 26th, 2010 5:49 AM

Thanks for the info, would love to jump it but I cant back it up to open the hood. We have cabinetry installed on the back wall of the garage and the traverse pulls in just under it so I can't open the hood. Can a tow truck literally just pull the vehicle back about a foot without being in neutral since I can't take it out of park? Wouldn't this part be covered under warranty to be taken to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

EvansBlue April 26th, 2010 7:51 AM

You can drag it yes, but the wheels will be locked up.
A similar thing happened to my mom's Envoy. Her battery failed at a gas station and when she went to start her car back up, it wouldn't respond. She couldn't get the key out of the ignition either because of the key lock. Luckily we were able to get under the hood. You should be able to hook to it with either a towtruck, or you can find a suitable underbody member that you can hook to a truck and drag it out.

therewolf April 26th, 2010 8:00 AM

If the key will go to the "start" position, you may be able to shift it into neutral, then roll it backwards..

For what a tow truck's going to charge, you could buy a good jump-box.(I did.)

icecold45 December 22nd, 2014 6:37 PM

ignition issue

I can turn the key to the on position but absolutely no power is evident. You can not turn the key all the way off to release the key. In no position while braking can the car be taken out of park.[/QUOTE]

icecold45 December 22nd, 2014 6:38 PM

Car dead and keys stuck in ignition. How do I get them out?

in2pro December 22nd, 2014 8:45 PM

Originally Posted by icecold45 (Post 291519)
Car dead and keys stuck in ignition. How do I get them out?

Welcome to the forum :)
What is the vehicle, year and model ?
Is the battery completely dead?
Is the vehicle able to be shifted from gear range and back to park?