Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy 327 motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2012, 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Chevy 327 motor mounts

I am putting a 327 in a datsun 510 and using solid mounts on the front at the moment but i was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas of the motor mounts you use or have seen that are rubber and on the front of the motor. Pics links ideas or anything at all id appreciate it. Thanks for the help.
Old March 25th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

What exactly do you mean by "front of the motor"? 55-57 Chevy V8s had mounts that bolted to the front of the block on each side of the timing chain cover, in 58 they stated using side mounts that bolted to each side of the block below the exhaust manifolds. Some of the pick up trucks w/V8s used a front mount that I have always heard called a "yoke". The yoke bolted to the from of the V8 block on each side of the timing chain cover and had a single rubber mount that attached to the cross member just like the inline six cylinder engine used. I swapped a 235 ci L6 for a 350ci v8 in a 61 Chevy p/u using a yoke type front mount and it fit like a glove and worked great. It was a "hot rod" engine and I figured that I would have to use a safety chain to keep the engine from trying to roll over on it's side when making a hard "hole shot" but I didn't need it.

With your engine swap I would think that you could use what ever you can make work with the room you have to work in. I've seen some very creative homespun engine mounts that worked very well. I haven't done any "exotic" engine swaps in quite a while but I'm sure there are lots of guys here that can help you out.
Old March 26th, 2012, 3:33 AM
CF Beginner

Ill get a pic tomorrow but its a solid steel plate that bolts to the front of the motor on the left and right side of the timing cover and goes down under the timing cover and the plate bolts up to some mounts on the frame. Its a lot like the old 55's mounts but no rubber all solid.