Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Clock keeps resetting to 12:00

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2008, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock keeps resetting to 12:00

For a few days now, every time I get in and start my car, the clock has reset to 12:00. If it's been a only 2 or 3 hours, it will advance from 12:00 to the time elapsed. But if it's overnight, it's completely reset to 12:00. The radio hasn't reset or lost it's settings. The battery has not died. No other "electrical" or sound system problems appear. To the left of the 12:00 I get a clock icon and the word INFO. This is not the same INFO shown when radio broadcasts info, but to the left of the clock numbers. Any ideas what is happening? The manual only shows how to set the clock time. And the only references to INFO are the radio broadcast INFO. The car is a 2003 Impala with radio and single CD from the factory. No Onstar.
Old October 27th, 2008, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Clock keeps resetting to 12:00

Unless I am missing something you did not provide year make and model of the vehicle or the type of radio (am/fm/cd/mp3/xm). Not all vehicles or radios are created equally so I would need to know what we are working with.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for trying. I updated my entry later. 2003 Impala with factoryAM/FM/single CD no Onstar.
Old October 28th, 2008, 6:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

probably a bad radio. If you aren't loosing your presets then it probably isn't a power or ground issue. Could be a cold solder or dfective part inside the radio
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Any results

Has anybody been able to find a fix for this problem, my 03 Impala started doing the nsame thing just this morning.
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveStamp
Has anybody been able to find a fix for this problem, my 03 Impala started doing the nsame thing just this morning.

I had the same problem. Try cleaning the key with alcohol and a Q-Tip

Then reset the clock. Also, check the ignition switch. Your ignition switch could be worn or lose. It can also be dirty. Blow air into the ignition switch to clean it.

The key is not sending the single to the ignition switch properly and therefor the radio is not getting the voltage to the memory in the radio to keep the clock set.

I had the same problem when the Security Light came on and I thought it was a Passlock problem.

My key was dirty and my ignition switch lose. I'm going to try to tighten up the ignition switch and see if that solves all my other problems. If that doesn't work I will have to replace my ignition switch.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
lvc2 (January 24th, 2020)
Old July 16th, 2013, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a GM specialty shop in Florida and we most commonly see this issue with failing igntion switches. For one reason or another you are loosing RAP (retained accessory power) that much is clear. Don't be thrown off by the radio presets. Modern GM radios have memory like a computer and presets don't get erased when you loose power. The clock is a different story though.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; July 16th, 2013 at 8:59 PM. Reason: Shameless Plug of Website.
The following users liked this post:
lvc2 (January 24th, 2020)
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

2003 Chevrolet Impala keeps resetting the clock and I have cleaned the keys and blew air in the key hole. Also when I start my car there is a pop sound told it was a kick back to get fuel injector cleaner. I did and it quit for a week now doing it again. What should I do?
Old July 13th, 2016, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

I know this thread is a few years old but I came here looking for something definitive for the same clock-resetting issue on my '95 astro van, and didn't find it. Besides the clock resetting, my engine would occasionally shut off after a cold start...then restart easily. As RB noted, the ignition switch is most likely at fault. NOT THE KEY TUMBLER, but the switch halfway down the steering column (on top, in my van) that actually makes the electrical connections when the key is turned. I replaced mine and everything works perfectly again. FYI: It's an intricate job since there's little room to work and tiny bolts. Figure a half day or so. The switch is only 14 bucks at Autozone and it took me 5 hrs.
Old December 1st, 2019, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dash clock resetting.

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo5 LT H/B, so my clock is on my dash.... It keeps resetting from time to time (not all the time). It resets back to 1:00 and idk what could be the cause of it. Could someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue. Thank you.

Last edited by Brandon Aye; December 1st, 2019 at 4:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Clock keeps resetting to 12:00