Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/)
-   -   leaf spring broke. replacement question (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/leaf-spring-broke-replacement-question-57830/)

chrisz71 April 22nd, 2013 11:03 PM

leaf spring broke. replacement question

drivers side leaf spring broke, and going to the junk yard to get another one. never done this before......

do i need to replace the bushings and u bolts? and what year chevrolet models would be compatible? 1992 chevy silverado 4x4. thanks in advance.

SWHouston April 23rd, 2013 12:43 AM

You should be able to find a replacement anywhere from 1992-1999. On replacing anything else, just take a good look at it, and if it's worn, then replace it. Usually the U-Bolts don't deteriorate all that much, BUT, if you need one, you need to get it from a Spring Shop, or a Dealer Replacement. Don't use soft metal there ! If you have any trouble finding a replacement, a good Spring Shop can fit a new leaf in it for you.

Why did it break ?

Jeff Collision April 23rd, 2013 5:42 AM

If you have a sagging or broken leaf spring on your Chevy Silverado, you may need to install new leaf springs on it. A rear leaf spring replacement is something you can do yourself, if you have the proper tools and are willing to put your efforts into it. Unless you are familiar with the replacement, it is recommended to take your vehicle to a Chevy mechanic.

SWHouston April 23rd, 2013 10:53 AM

Chris,

As you've indicated, Junk Yard parts can be more than an adequate replacement for you, and a lot cheaper than getting a full spring set from a Dealer, IF he happens to have it at all.
Also, one can do this work with not much more than a Crescent Wrench and a Bumper Jack, and it doesn't take a dedicated "Chevrolet" Mechanic. You should be able to do a change in less than 2 hours.

Replies here are smacking of the "Baker Smith" syndrome.

chrisz71 April 23rd, 2013 6:55 PM

thanks guys, ill be taking a stab at it this weekend. how do i know if the bushings are good or bad on the leaf spring at a junk yard?

SWHouston, the road i take to work has been getting worse and worse due to the new businesses and big trucks.. hit a pothole that started as a small pothole to a huge hole in the ground.. WHAM! squeak squeak.

got home and located the squeak ugh

SWHouston April 23rd, 2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by chrisz71 (Post 246553)
SWHouston, the road i take to work has been getting worse and worse due to the new businesses and big trucks.. hit a pothole that started as a small pothole to a huge hole in the ground.. WHAM! squeak squeak. got home and located the squeak ugh

I know budgets can be tight, but, you might at some point, think about getting a set of Shocks which deal with hazards like that a bit better than the ones you have now.

Additionally, be sure to keep the Air well up in your Tires, no need to put them in jeopardy as well. I always air mine up to just under the Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure, stamped on the sidewall of my Tires. That's about 43 lbs, on the Genera's I have on mine now.

chrisz71 April 24th, 2013 6:01 PM

yep, going to buy those next weekend. got any recommendations? i was probably going to go for the oreilys brand for now, since those are only 50 bucks a piece..

SWHouston April 24th, 2013 10:55 PM

Those and several other Brands are very good choices, as long as you get Double Action. Those provide a little firmer ride, but probably would have saved you from the spring problem.

On the Bushings...
They can be pretty bad and still work. You can buy a new set from your Dealer or a Spring Shop if they are severely cracked.