Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Looking for advise to trace an electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advise to trace an electrical problem

Hello folks,

I own a 1998 Damon Daybreak motorhome on a Chevrolet P32 (P31832) chassis / V8 7.4L SFI.

This year, after getting it ready for the season, I noticed that my heater fan wouldn't work. After some tracing of the issue, it turned out that I had no voltage on the heater fuse at all and also had a dead ground on the fan. I've since replaced the fan and have played a bit with the connectors under the hood, in case of a bad connection. Now, don't ask me which one it was, but voltage came back on the heater circuit. All was good for two weeks until my last trip, this past weekend. On my way back, the ABS light was intermitently on and off until I've reached my last highway before home and got stuck on for the rest of the trip and until now, also realising that my flashers, stop lights and again heater fan were not functionning either. The warning lights, being on a different circuit not linked to the ignition are working, along with the middle (third) stop light.

I've done some testing when I got home and there's no voltage to the heather, flasher/stop and brake fuses and some other ones I can't remember. They seem to be linked to a circuit coming from the ignition switch. I had first hooked an OBD (SnapOn red brick) to check the ABS code and not being able to initiate communication, which brought me to check my fuses (none are blown) to then realise that no voltage was powering up the EBCM, causing the ABS light to turn on and the other light / heater issues I have.

I've done some tech digging to get to that point, trust me, but now, trying to figure out the root of the electrical issue and where to start is what I need advices on.

If anybody could help me in giving me directions as to where to start my troubleshooting, that would be greatly appreciated and would hopefuly save me some time.

Thanks in advance for reading me and taking the time to answer me.

Dave
Old June 22nd, 2011, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well, a couple hours of tracing just for a loose conector on the steering column, LOL!!

Problem fixed.. Funny how we can sometime search way too far when it's a simple problem. And note to myself: never trace wires when there isn't enough light, light pink and light orange did look like the same color...